The Official RONR Q & A Forums

standing commitees

pamcelesnik

RONR, 10th ed., pg. 440, lines 19-31.

Josh Pg 440 ? is this saying she has the right to appoint all new members and remove the old ones ? because our C&bl does not give any term limits to our standing commitee it is my contention they would stay there indefinately

or until they quit or are removed by the 2/3 vote of the board.

“Section 1: The president shall preside at all meetings and perform other duties that pertain to his/her office. The president will fill all positions on standing committees.”

Josh Pg 440 ? is this saying she has the right to appoint all new members and remove the old ones ? because our C&bl does not give any term limits to our standing commitee it is my contention they would stay there indefinately

“Section 1: The president shall preside at all meetings and perform other duties that pertain to his/her office. The president will fill all positions on standing committees.”

Okay, now try p. 169 - 170. -- as Mr Mervosh said.

[Edited a little.]

Can a president remove everyone from all standing committees when he/she takes office, without board approval?

Are you asking a question about Pamela Sue's bylaws, or asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

Under Robert's Rules of Order, no president appoints committees, and no president un-appoints committees.

(See RONR for a lone exception about a tellers committee, appointed by a chair, not a president.)

“Section 1: ... The president will fill all positions on standing committees.”

That's it? That is all your bylaws have to say on the issue?

This is YOUR rule.

It is NOT a rule lifted from Robert's Rules of Order.

I see no reference in your customized rule for a board.

Q. Then why do you ask about a "board" when your rule does not allow for board involvement?

Josh Pg 440 ? is this saying she has the right to appoint all new members and remove the old ones ?

It's saying that the president only has such power if it is given by the bylaws or by the assembly.

"... if a single person, such as the president, has the power of appointment, he has the power to remove or replace a member so appointed..." - p. 169-170 as paraphrased by Mr. Mervosh and cited by Mr. Tesser

because our C&bl does not give any term limits to our standing commitee it is my contention they would stay there indefinately

New committee members are generally appointed at the beginning of each administration. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 473, l. 20-26.

Are you asking a question about Pamela Sue's bylaws, or asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order?

Under Robert's Rules of Order, no president appoints committees, and no president un-appoints committees.

(See RONR for a lone exception about a tellers committee, appointed by a chair, not a president.)

That's it? That is all your bylaws have to say on the issue?

This is YOUR rule.

It is NOT a rule lifted from Robert's Rules of Order.

I see no reference in your customized rule for a board.

Q. Then why do you ask about a "board" when your rule does not allow for board involvement?

ok under duties of officers article 7 section 5 the executive board shall: have the power to transact all club bussiness between meetings approve ALL apointments made by the president;act upon charges brought before them ; formulate rules ECT.

ok under duties of officers article 7 section 5 the executive board shall: have the power to transact all club bussiness between meetings approve ALL apointments made by the president;act upon charges brought before them ; formulate rules ECT.

Pamela Sue, no one on this website forum can interpret your organization's bylaws, especially from snippets; we can only discuss what RONR says. As Mr Goldsworthy put it, in his laid-back west coast way, whatever modifications your bylaws make to what Robert's Rules prescribes will make your situation unique, and the answer unique, which on this website we cannot provide.

(Incidentally, the question -- whether a president who appoints with board approval has the authority to remove the apointees on his own -- has come up here in the past. There were partisans on both sides. As I recall, no one was convinced.

(... Hmm. I might be disagreeing with Mr Mervosh, then. Rarely a good idea.)

[Edited to prudently second-guess myself.]

Archived