The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Explaining the Process

Dominator

It's at least part -- a fundamental part -- of the presiding officer's job to make sure that the members understand what they're voting on. P. 438 at the bottom. By extension, maybe, he should help them know what they're doing in general.

I agree - if members are truly unfamiliar with how meetings are run, then yes the Chairman should try to provide as much information as possible. Some Chairman, for example, when the meeting is called to order will provide a brief overview as well - i.e. one person may speak at a time, one motion can be discussed at a time, all comments are to made to the Chairman not other members, etc.

I'm afraid that this makes no sense at all.

You beat me to it, Dan. smile.gif Nevertheless, I think I get the gist of the topic.

It is not desirable, as a practical matter, for the president to turn a business meeting into a classroom on parliamentary procedure. There are certainly instances where the chair may clarify the parliamentary situation (see RONR, 10th ed., p. 188, l. 34, through p. 189, l. 3, for an example) or help a member frame a motion in the proper form, but he should refrain generally from providing more information than the current parliamentary situation requires. Training in parliamentary procedure is best done in study groups outside the context of a business meeting.

I agree that the president should help guide the assembly, but I didn't know if someone would call for the orders of the day as a workaround to an explanation if no parliamentary inquiry was requested.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if a more knowledgeable member called for the orders of the day if the President's explanation became overly lengthy, if that's what you're getting at.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if a more knowledgeable member called for the orders of the day if the President's explanation became overly lengthy, if that's what you're getting at.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Not that it would happen necessarily, but couldn't it?

I suppose then the chair should explain which direction the vote would go - if to continue explaining or not and the requirement for it to pass.

I completely agree with you. Perhaps I should just suggest to the president to provide a class in between adjourned meetings for those who are interested.

Sound like a good idea?

Sure, unless somebody else is better equipped to teach it. -- provided that we don't mean, instead of making sure that the presiding officer makes sure that the membership always knows what it's voting on.

I completely agree with you. Perhaps I should just suggest to the president to provide a class in between adjourned meetings for those who are interested.

Sound like a good idea?

If the organization is large enough to make it practical, I suggest creating a standing committee on rules, part of the function of which should be an ongoing outreach to members concerning proper parliamentary procedure. Since members come and go over time, this effort needs to be organized and constant. For new members, the committee might want to organize periodic "boot camps" as an introduction for those who do not have previous exposure to parliamentary procedure. The RONR In-Brief book can be used for this purpose. Other specialized study groups can be organized to provide more advanced training for members who aspire to hold office--especially those who wish to run for president--or chair committees.

Archived