The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Accepting and Approving Minutes

Maroon

Well, normally the Chairman will ask the Secretary to read the Minutes (unless the Minutes are distributed prior to the meeting, although any member may require the Minutes to be read), and then the Chairman asks for corrections. Once any (or all) corrections are made, the Chairman will normally state something to the effect of "If there are no more corrections, the Minutes are approved."

However, a motion to approve the Minutes would not be out of order.

In our monthly meeting, the mintues were read. I asked for a motion to accept the minutes. I then asked for the question, and corrections were made to the minutes. I then asked for a motion to approve the minutes as corrected. Is this out of order to do it this way?

Although making a motion to approve the minutes is not out of order the preferred process under RONR is for there to be no motion and the Chair after asking if there are any corrections to declare the minutes approved (as corrected). See RONR pp. 343-344.

Is it proper for the chair to revise or make changes to the minutes before they are distributed to the board for approval or corrections

Any member may make suggestions to the secretary before she submits her draft for approval but she is under no obligation either to show her draft to anyone or to accept the suggestions. The chair enjoys no special status in this process.

[For future reference, this forum works best if you ask your new question as a new topic, even if a similar topic exists.]

Any member may make suggestions to the secretary before she submits her draft for approval but she is under no obligation either to show her draft to anyone or to accept the suggestions. The chair enjoys no special status in this process.

[For future reference, this forum works best if you ask your new question as a new topic, even if a similar topic exists.]

Archived