The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairman?

Guest Sherry

Am I correct in my understanding that the title, Chairman, is not gender specific? Meaning that a chairman is a chairman no matter whether they are male or female? My boss wants me to refer to our female chairman simply as the "chair" since she's female.

Am I correct in my understanding that the title, Chairman, is not gender specific? Meaning that a chairman is a chairman no matter whether they are male or female?

This is correct.

My boss wants me to refer to our female chairman simply as the "chair" since she's female.

Well, although the term "chairman" would be perfectly acceptable, the term "chair" is perfectly fine as well and is becoming more widespread.

I don't think this is worth getting in an argument with your boss. :)

Am I correct in my understanding that the title, Chairman, is not gender specific? Meaning that a chairman is a chairman no matter whether they are male or female? My boss wants me to refer to our female chairman simply as the "chair" since she's female.

"Chairman" is not gender-specific. It is absolutely proper to address the chairman as "Madam Chairman".

• 10 months later...

I understand that the term "chairperson" is not correct and that "chairman" is gender neutral. When addressing the person, use the term "Chairman" or "Madam Chairman". Is this in line with Robert's Rules?

See "Customs Observed By Members" (RONR 11th Ed. p.22) for the proper manner to address the presiding officer.

I understand that the term "chairperson" is not correct and that "chairman" is gender neutral.

Chairman is gender neutral and is the preferred term in RONR, however, chairperson is also perfectly acceptable. It's ultimately up to the customs of the assembly.

When addressing the person, use the term "Chairman" or "Madam Chairman". Is this in line with Robert's Rules?

This is the preferred term for the presiding officer if there is no specific title (President, Moderator, etc.), yes.

Archived