The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what do you do if the chair won't call meeting to order?

Guest loose

I know p. 643 l. - you appeal the chair's ruling. But how can you appeal if there's no meeting in which to do so?

And how can you form much of an argument when the issue is over a patent violation of basic parliamentary procedure?

And why submit it to the group when it's not up to them - it's parliamentary common law?

I know p. 642 l.10-23 - you appeal the chair's ruling. But how can you appeal if there's no meeting in which to do so?

And how can you form much of an argument when the issue is over a patent violation of basic parliamentary procedure?

And why submit it to the group when it's not up to them - it's parliamentary common law?

I know p. 643 l. - you appeal the chair's ruling. But how can you appeal if there's no meeting in which to do so?

First, ask the chairman why he is not calling the meeting to order. Then, if no valid reason is given, ask the vice-president, and then the secretary, to call the meeting to order. If they both refuse, do it yourself.

Do you mean to say that the membership (or perhaps board) has gathered at the usual meeting place, at a scheduled meeting time, and the chair is there but does not call the meeting to order?

Do you mean to say that the membership (or perhaps board) has gathered at the usual meeting place, at a scheduled meeting time, and the chair is there but does not call the meeting to order?

That's right. We are held captive for 1 hour 45 minutes till chairman is satisfied we have reached a "consensus." Then he asks for a "motion" to begin the meeting. The notion is that we shoot the breeze first, collecting ideas for motions, in a "non-Robert's Rules" part of the meeting. I am trying to educate.

That's right. We are held captive for 1 hour 45 minutes till chairman is satisfied we have reached a "consensus." Then he asks for a "motion" to begin the meeting. The notion is that we shoot the breeze first, collecting ideas for motions, in a "non-Robert's Rules" part of the meeting. I am trying to educate.

Well, if page 24 lines 12-14 won't get your chair straightened out, perhaps Chapter XX will. Your procedure is not how the Book lays it out, but if the membership goes along with it, there you are. It may be of little use to bring RONR's corrective procedures to bear without the support of the group. Until then, Mr. Gerber's advice holds. Good luck.

You might also refer your chair to RONR (10th Ed.) pages 1-643 for additional information.

It is the duty of the chair to call the meeting to order promptly at the appointed time. If the chair is routinely derelict in his duties, he should be censured and if that doesn't do the trick, replaced.

It is impossible to have a motion to start a meeting because the meeting is not in session before it is, er, in session.

This chair sounds thoroughly clueless.

Well, if page 24 lines 12-14 won't get your chair straightened out, perhaps Chapter XX will. Your procedure is not how the Book lays it out, but if the membership goes along with it, there you are. It may be of little use to bring RONR's corrective procedures to bear without the support of the group. Until then, Mr. Gerber's advice holds. Good luck.

You might also refer your chair to RONR (10th Ed.) pages 1-643 for additional information.

I'd forgotten that this is a long-running problem in loose's organization, and I'm not sure why it's been brought up again here at this time (and without mentioning the facts of the case until prompted).

If this problem hasn't been resolved among the group by now, it's not going to be resolved by a member suddenly taking the chair at one meeting.

Archived