The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ajournment - outside motion time limit

Guest helen

Our Constitution states that all motions at the AGM must be submitted in writing to the Hon Sec 10 days before the AGM. Does this apply to a motion to adjourn?

No. Adjournment is a privileged motion when no other motion has set up adjournment and another meeting is set up. Be a little logical. If no time for adjournment was set up 10 days before the association, do you want it that the meeting cannot be adjourned?

Our Constitution states that all motions at the AGM must be submitted in writing to the Hon Sec 10 days before the AGM. Does this apply to a motion to adjourn?

While it's up to your organization to interpret the meaning of "all motions", it should do so in a way that makes sense. See pp.570-573.

On the other hand, you might want to amend your constitution to eliminate any ambiguity.

Kind-a makes it hard to Object to Consideration of the Question, too, never mind most all the others.

Here's my list of top ten:

1. Call for the Orders of the Day

2. Division of the Assembly

3. Point of Information / Parliamentary Inquiry

4. Point of Order

5. Previous Question

6. Fill a Blank

7. Create a Blank

8. Adopt an Agenda

9. Grant Permission to Continue Speaking After Indecorum

10.Lay on the Table

That's such a screwy rule that--well, who knows what it means. I would be tempted to think that it should be interpreted to apply only to new main motions, except for the fact that it says "all motions". It would be completely unworkable, that much I'm sure of.

If it is found to be in the nature of a rule of order, however, it would be suspendable by a 2/3 vote. Whether it is, is open to interpretation itself. It might be considered a requirement for prior notice, except that nobody appears to actually get notified, apart from the "Hon Sec", presuming that's a person.

If it is found to be in the nature of a rule of order, however, it would be suspendable by a 2/3 vote. Whether it is, is open to interpretation itself. It might be considered a requirement for prior notice, except that nobody appears to actually get notified, apart from the "Hon Sec", presuming that's a person.

Well, I think whether the rule is suspendable depends on why they are sending the motions to the Honorable Secretary. Presumably the Secretary does something with the motions, and what that "something" is will determine whether the rule is suspendable.

Well, I think whether the rule is suspendable depends on why they are sending the motions to the Honorable Secretary. Presumably the Secretary does something with the motions, and what that "something" is will determine whether the rule is suspendable.

Yes, presuming that's the Honorable Secretary, and not the Honorary Secretary.

Our Constitution states that all motions at the AGM must be submitted in writing to the Hon Sec 10 days before the AGM.

Does this apply to a motion to adjourn?

If you were to take that rule literally, then:

• You could not recess.

• You could not adjourn.

• You could not make amendments.

• You could not raise points of order.

• You could not ask points of information.

• You could not raise a question of privilege.

• You could not make motion to vote by ballot.

• You could not call for a division of the assembly.

You would all be at the mercy, (at the whim!,) of your chair.

In short, your rule, if read and applied literally, would make your AGM impossible to accomplish almost anything.

Are you going to obey your rule literally?

Are you going to waive your ability to adjourn via a motion?

Since it was you guys who amended your constitution so, then WHAT DID YOU INTEND, when you voted affirmatively to add such a rule to your constitution?

That's such a screwy rule that--well, who knows what it means. I would be tempted to think that it should be interpreted to apply only to new main motions, except for the fact that it says "all motions". It would be completely unworkable, that much I'm sure of.

But if it applies to "all motions", how are they going to have a motion to Suspend the Rules?

Archived