The Official RONR Q & A Forums

unknown audio recording

Alidir

In a recent board meeting at our non-profit, a tape was made of the meeting without some members knowing about it. The only way we found out is because a board member that was not at the meeting mentioned listening to a tape of the meeting. I could have passed this off as something that always happens that I simply didn't know about because I was only recently elected, but in mentioning it to a more experienced board member I found out that this person also did not know it had been recorded. I've searched the forums and I have seen all the times it has been discussed that a secretary can record a meeting to assist in typing the minutes at a later time, but no comment that I've seen has discussed whether or not the secretary can do that without the knowledge and consent of the members of said meeting. Should it have been announced that the meeting was being recorded if it is not normal practice for that to happen?

Should it have been announced that the meeting was being recorded if it is not normal practice for that to happen?

The member (?) who made the secret recording could be subject to disciplinary sanctions. There may also be legal implications but that's for an attorney to figure out.

The basic rule is that the assembly (the members present) control the meeting room. I'd also say that if a meeting is being recorded, all members have a right to know that.

In a recent board meeting at our non-profit, a tape was made of the meeting without some members knowing about it.

The only way we found out is because a board member that was not at the meeting mentioned listening to a tape of the meeting.

I could have passed this off as something that always happens that I simply didn't know about because I was only recently elected, but in mentioning it to a more experienced board member I found out that this person also did not know it had been recorded.

I've searched the forums and I have seen all the times it has been discussed that a secretary can record a meeting to assist in typing the minutes at a later time, but no comment that I've seen has discussed whether or not the secretary can do that without the knowledge and consent of the members of said meeting.

Should it have been announced that the meeting was being recorded if it is not normal practice for that to happen?

Not necessarily.

There is no parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting.

Granted, in executive session, that would be exception, since secrecy is part of the package in executive session, and I doubt the members would tolerate a recording device when a rule of secrecy is deliberately invoked and deliberately enforced, and is enforceable.

But you won't find a default rule in RONR Tenth Edition which implies something like, "Thou shalt not record."

Not necessarily.

There is no parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting.

Granted, in executive session, that would be exception, since secrecy is part of the package in executive session, and I doubt the members would tolerate a recording device when a rule of secrecy is deliberately invoked and deliberately enforced, and is enforceable.

But you won't find a default rule in RONR Tenth Edition which implies something like, "Thou shalt not record."

What exception? There is no parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting being held in executive session.

Nor is there any parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting being held in executive session.

What exception? There is no parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting being held in executive session.

Nor is there any parliamentary rule violated when a person records a meeting being held in executive session.

I think you like to edit because you get to do that "Reason for edit" thing. (smiley face goes here)

My issue is not with recording the meeting. I would actually encourage it if the issue ever came up. My issue is with the fact that no one, not even the president, knew the meeting was being recorded.

Archived