The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Ballots. PLEASE HELP

Mark41

We are having a disagreement about how the ballots should be set. The one's how wants to stack the ballots so their friends get in, say it should be alphabetically, but I say it should be by the order for which they we nominated. Could someone PLEASE help in this matter? <_<

RONR leaves it up to the organization to decide how the ballots should be set up.

RONR leaves it up to the organization to decide how the ballots should be set up.

And while at least one on this forum thinks it should be in the order in which nominations were made, I think alphabetical order is the most obviously objective. In other words, everyone should realize why "Aaron, Hank" is listed before "Killebrew, Harmon", while many might wonder why "Incumbent, Joe" was listed before "Challenger, Mary".

But, as Chris H. notes, it's up to your organization.

If you can't get agreement, you might suggest pulling names out of a hat to determine ballot order.

And, whichever method is chosen, a brief explanation on the ballot would be helpful. E.g. "Candidates are listed in random order" or "Candidates are listed in the order in which they were nominated" or, though it should be obvious, "Candidates are listed in alphabetical order".

I find it difficult to accept that, if the ballot lists Mr. A before Mr. B and Mr. C, Mr. A will get any votes that he wouldn't get if the order were reversed. Perhaps there are some scientific data that support this psychological phenomenon, but I'd hold out hope the membership will be smarter than that.

There is extensive scientific research on this topic. Just Google "ballot order effect" and you'll find numerous papers on the subject.

Archived