The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ex officio member

Kailee

Can the Board Chair who is an ex officio member also be nominated by a member of the Board to a Standing Committee as a member of Committee or as the Chair of the Committee?

No rule in RONR prohibits it.

An ex-officio member is as much a member as any other member. No more; no less.

Here's the RONR mantra: "A member is a member is a member."

Can the Board Chair ...

also be

nominated ... to a Standing Committee

as a member of Committee

or

as the Chair of the Committee?

Yes.

A board chair can serve in an infinite number of other capacities.

A board chair can sit on countless committees.

A board chair can be appointed chairman of any committee.

There is no restriction within Robert's Rules of Order.

The voters, or the appointing party, has no restriction placed upon them/him.

Anyone can sit on a committee.

• Even a nonmember of the organization.

• Even an expelled member of the organization.

• Even a suspended member of the organization.

• Even a convicted felon.

Even a board chair.

Can a current member of the board also be appointed as Parliamentarian, which is an ex-officio position?

It's best if you start your own question rather than piggy-backing on another one. That way we don't get the answers muddled up, and you get our undivided attention. :)

That said, there is nothing in RONR that would prevent a board member from being appointed parliamentarian, but what's this about "ex officio position"? Is the parliamentarian ex officio a member of the Board? This might present some issues, based on the duties and limitations on the parliamentarian coming into conflict with those of a board member. So, could you explain what you mean there?

Can a current member of the board also be appointed as Parliamentarian, which is an ex-officio position?

By definition, you can't be appointed to an ex-officio position. An ex-officio position is automatic because of holding some other office. You could, of course, be appointed to that one.

But I suspect that your Parliamentarian is not actually an ex-officio position, and so a current member could be appointed as Parliamentarian, but because of the restricted participation which is incumbent upon that office, an active board member might not be the best choice.

It's best if you start your own question rather than piggy-backing on another one. That way we don't get the answers muddled up, and you get our undivided attention. :)

That said, there is nothing in RONR that would prevent a board member from being appointed parliamentarian, but what's this about "ex officio position"? Is the parliamentarian ex officio a member of the Board? This might present some issues, based on the duties and limitations on the parliamentarian coming into conflict with those of a board member. So, could you explain what you mean there?

Our By-Laws state that the Parliamentarian is an ex-officio member of the Board... it has always been a previous Board member who has been appointed to this position... they have no vote... just are responsible for ensuring that Robert's Rules are adhered to ... historically, it was a past Board member who was appointed by the Chairman to this position... I am just wondering if it could not be a current Board member who holds this position concurrent with his/her other Board position. Thanks for your help with my question ... I don't want to proceed if it is a violation.

Our By-Laws state that the Parliamentarian is an ex-officio member of the Board... it has always been a previous Board member who has been appointed to this position... they have no vote... just are responsible for ensuring that Robert's Rules are adhered to ... historically, it was a past Board member who was appointed by the Chairman to this position... I am just wondering if it could not be a current Board member who holds this position concurrent with his/her other Board position. Thanks for your help with my question ... I don't want to proceed if it is a violation.

I don't believe anything in RONR would prevent a current board member from being appointed to the position. Whether you actually need one is your decision. Whether the board member is the best person for the position is your decision. And the parliamentarian would have a (limited) right to vote at board meetings. Read on.

But, per RONR (p. 451 l. 4-15) the parliamentarian maintains the same appearance of impartiality as the chair, and thus does not make motions, enter into debate, or vote except when by ballot (assuming s/he is also a member of the assembly that is meeting). This thus deprives this board member of those rights of membership. Additionally, unlike the chair, the parliamentarian can not relinquish the position in order to engage in a question on the floor, and then retake the position after disposition of it.

It might be better to stick with a former board member, although your selection should be based on knowledge of RONR, your bylaws and parliamentary procedure.

This thus deprives this board member of those rights of membership.

This is incorrect. A member-Parliamentarian retains all of his rights of membership, he simply agrees not to exercise them. A member-Parliamentarian who insisted on exercising those rights would likely lose his position of Parliamentarian, but he could not be prevented from exercising them.

This is incorrect. A member-Parliamentarian retains all of his rights of membership, he simply agrees not to exercise them. A member-Parliamentarian who insisted on exercising those rights would likely lose his position of Parliamentarian, but he could not be prevented from exercising them.

Certainly correct, and I appreciate the clarification of my imcomplete thought.

Archived