The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Capturing adopted guidelines?

TonyW

We have a committee that is a subset of our board and the committee has a well defined purpose. I understand that the committe plans to bring a report to our next board meeting and within their report is a page and a half of guidelines that they've identified as useful or something they'd like the committee to follow. They want to ask the board (make a motion) to adopt their guidelines for all those who will serve on that committee. I know we'll receive and file their report. If indeed we vote/adopt their guidelines for that committee should those guidelines be included word for word in the meeting minutes? If the type of committee matters I can those details.

Thank you,

Tony

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

We have a committee that is a subset of our board and the committee has a well defined purpose. I understand that the committe plans to bring a report to our next board meeting and within their report is a page and a half of guidelines that they've identified as useful or something they'd like the committee to follow. They want to ask the board (make a motion) to adopt their guidelines for all those who will serve on that committee. I know we'll receive and file their report. If indeed we vote/adopt their guidelines for that committee should those guidelines be included word for word in the meeting minutes? If the type of committee matters I can those details.

Thank you,

Tony

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

If a document is very long, like an auditor's report, or like a historian's report, then the hardcopy can be used an an appendix or a coda, while the minutes will contain a wording something like (in your case), "Mr. X moved to adopt the Y Committee guidelines.", with (I recommend) a notation where the new document can be found, for the sake of future researchers and future readers of those minutes.

Archived