The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair Voting

Guest Majority Leader

Guest Majority Leader

Scenario: Governing body exists, where all- including the President (presiding officer) are members. Constitution delineates that all members are entitled to a vote.

Therefore, my question is: Can the President vote on all votes or only when allowed by Robert's? (Break/force ties)

Scenario: Governing body exists, where all- including the President (presiding officer) are members. Constitution delineates that all members are entitled to a vote.

Therefore, my question is: Can the President vote on all votes or only when allowed by Robert's? (Break/force ties)

Well, that's not exactly what RONR says. In fact it says that all members are entitled to a vote. It's a fundamental principle of parliamentary law, after all.

But it also says that the chair's job (in groups larger than about a dozen) benefits greatly from an appearance of impartiality, which can be substantially aided by not voting when that one vote wouldn't make a difference anyway. The chair is never prohibited from voting, but ought not vote publicly except when that one vote is the deciding vote. Nothing is gained by it, and much is lost.

Well, sure, because impartiality is not an issue when the votes are secret.

I've amended my post to insert "publicly" after "ought not vote".

Fair enough, although I think "or when voting by ballot" is less open to interpretation than is "publicly." As the Majority Leader made no mention of how the vote was being held, public or private, I felt it safe enough to clarify, just in case.:)

• 3 weeks later...

do you have to form a committee before you vote on an issue.

We voted on changing our by-laws and after the meeting a board member

said we did not vote the proper way. We had to form a committee and have them

bring it to the board for vote.

If we did that then we would never get anything done.

What is the procedure.

We voted on changing our by-laws and after the meeting a board member

said we did not vote the proper way. We had to form a committee and have them

bring it to the board for vote.

If we did that then we would never get anything done.

What is the procedure.

Please ask new unrelated questions in a new Topic.

Generally speaking, no.

We voted on changing our by-laws and after the meeting a board member said we did not vote the proper way. We had to form a committee and have them bring it to the board for vote. If we did that then we would never get anything done. What is the procedure.

I doubt the board member is suggesting all motions must be brought before a committee. In some societies, however, it is required that amendments to the Bylaws be reviewed by a committee as part of the amendment process. You should check what your Bylaws have to say about their amendment.

Archived