The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Review of Minutes

Guest subugg

Is there any protocol for reviewing the meeting minutes. Right now the Secretary sends out the meeting minutes to the board to review before the meeting, (so they do not have to be read aloud), she then asks us to send her any changes we feel are necessary, she then sends out a second copy of the minutes with all the corrections made.

I feel this process is so wrong, I feel that the President should be the one to review and make changes and only the corrected (typo's, and grammar) draft should be sent out to the board. At this point if the board wants changes, it can be discussed at the meeting.

Is there any rules to follow regarding this procedure?

At this point if the board wants changes, it can be discussed at the meeting.

This is an important point. At the next meeting, whether the minutes are read or not, the chair should ask if there are any corrections. At that point, any member can offer corrections, even to the corrections that were submitted and included by the secretary in the draft(s) to which there may still be objection. As long as this process is allowed, you should be fine.

I feel that:

S1. the President should be the one to review and make changes

and

S2. only the corrected (typo's, and grammar) draft should be sent out to the board.

Both are FALSE.

You won't find any authority for anyone other than the SECRETARY having the access to minutes prior to the presentation of the minutes inside a properly-called meeting.

If the secretary wishes, the secretary may forward a copy to anyone (e.g., mother, priest/rabbi, Dear Abby, etc.), not necessarily the president, for the sake of early feedback, or for the sake of corrections of spelling and grammar.

Is there any protocol for reviewing the meeting minutes. Right now the Secretary sends out the meeting minutes to the board to review before the meeting, (so they do not have to be read aloud), she then asks us to send her any changes we feel are necessary, she then sends out a second copy of the minutes with all the corrections made.

I feel this process is so wrong, I feel that the President should be the one to review and make changes and only the corrected (typo's, and grammar) draft should be sent out to the board. At this point if the board wants changes, it can be discussed at the meeting.

Does this system work for your organization? Does this process lead to more accurate and correct minutes, as well as a smoother meeting? If so, it sounds like a good system.

As you describe it, the one thing to be careful about is whether board members are making changes that do not reflect what was actually done at the meeting. This processa can workwell if the proposed corrections are things like spelling corrections, getting the names and titles of organizations and people correct, typos and clerical mistakes.

As far as the procedure in RONR is concerned, the correction and approval of the minutes is done in a meeting. Even if they have been distributed to members before the meeting, they must be read at the meeting if any member demands it.

There is nothing in RONR to indicate that the president has the power to review and edit the minutes before they are distributed. This process is so wrong. wink.gif Let the president stick to his knitting, and the secretary stick to his. smile.gif

Archived