The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board President lying to Board of Directors

Guest Jeff Corriveau

Guest Jeff Corriveau

Here is a situation where the Board President refuses to share information in a letter even though the individual who wrote the letter asks it be read at the meeting and entered into the minutes. Also the letter was addressed to the board of directors both on the letter and the envelop. The information in the letter accuses the President of hostile treatment and threfore refuses to read it claiming there is no request for it to be read in the letter. This appears she is just protecting herself. What action can be taken?

Here is a situation where the Board President refuses to share information in a letter even though the individual who wrote the letter asks it be read at the meeting and entered into the minutes. Also the letter was addressed to the board of directors both on the letter and the envelop. The information in the letter accuses the President of hostile treatment and threfore refuses to read it claiming there is no request for it to be read in the letter. This appears she is just protecting herself. What action can be taken?

The President is under no obligation to have any letter read unless the Board has established a policy that all correspondence (or certain classifications of it) are to be read at Board meetings or the Board orders the letter read. So if there is no policy in place then a Board member should make a motion that the letter be read. Majority rules.

Guest Jeff Corriveau

The President is under no obligation to have any letter read unless the Board has established a policy that all correspondence (or certain classifications of it) are to be read at Board meetings or the Board orders the letter read. So if there is no policy in place then a Board member should make a motion that the letter be read. Majority rules.

The board did not vote to have it read they requested she refused until the issue was forced. The person who wrote the letter did however write in the letter "I would like this letter read at the board of director's meeting and entered into the minutes" it was her resignation letter for being verbally abused.

Any other thoughts?

The board did not vote to have it read they requested she refused until the issue was forced. The person who wrote the letter did however write in the letter "I would like this letter read at the board of director's meeting and entered into the minutes" it was her resignation letter for being verbally abused.

Any other thoughts?

The member had no right to have the letter read at the meeting or to have it included in the minutes unless the Board ordered it (and it probably would have been improper to do either one since the letter "accuses the President of hostile treatment" which very well could have violated decorum in debate). Since this was a resignation the only thing that needed to be included in the minutes is whether the resignation was accepted (I would also question whether the bylaws grant the Board the authority to accept a resignation to start off with).

Guest Jeff Corriveau

The member had no right to have the letter read at the meeting or to have it included in the minutes unless the Board ordered it (and it probably would have been improper to do either one since the letter "accuses the President of hostile treatment" which very well could have violated decorum in debate). Since this was a resignation the only thing that needed to be included in the minutes is whether the resignation was accepted (I would also question whether the bylaws grant the Board the authority to accept a resignation to start off with).

I guess the real concern is that when asked if the letter requested to be read she denied it did. And when the letter was read the line asking so was omitted in the reading. The letter never officailly named the President Office or President by name. I guess the boards concern is that they were lied to and it has now brought up other lies. If you can only imagine it is creating quite the hostile situation.

Thank you.

I guess the real concern is that when asked if the letter requested to be read she denied it did. And when the letter was read the line asking so was omitted in the reading. The letter never officailly named the President Office or President by name. I guess the boards concern is that they were lied to and it has now brought up other lies. If you can only imagine it is creating quite the hostile situation.

Thank you.

I suppose it is time for a new President. If you don't want to wait until the next election see FAQ #20 for how to remove her from office.

But the president presumably is under an obligation to deliver a letter, addressed to the Board, to the Board, if not per RONR, then per federal postal regulations.

I don't think it's really appropriate to have the letter entered into the minutes, and it is certainly NOT the right of the letter writer to demand this, but it could be done by unanimous consent, or a majority vote.

Clearly, you found out what was in it somehow.

Archived