The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board members and executive Committees

brie88

At my church we have a Board of Trustees which also has an Executive Committee for quick response to matters. There are times when the Executive Committee has to go into executive session. Can a member of the Board who is not on the Executive Committee and did not attend the Exec. Committee have knowledge of the discussion that was in executive session? Or is the Executive Committee a separate body and being a member of the Board does not entitle them to executive session information.

Can a member of the Board who is not on the Executive Committee and did not attend the Exec. Committee have knowledge of the discussion that was in executive session?

No. RONR p. 93 says:

A member can be punished under disciplinary procedure if he violates the secrecy of an executive session.
Or is the Executive Committee a separate body and being a member of the Board does not entitle them to executive session information.

Correct.

At my church we have a Board of Trustees which also has an Executive Committee for quick response to matters. There are times when the Executive Committee has to go into executive session. Can a member of the Board who is not on the Executive Committee and did not attend the Exec. Committee have knowledge of the discussion that was in executive session? Or is the Executive Committee a separate body and being a member of the Board does not entitle them to executive session information.

I agree with Chris H., however, the Board of Trustees could order that the minutes of that meeting be read at a board meeting. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the board), or a majority vote with previous notice.

I agree with Chris H., however, the Board of Trustees could order that the minutes of that meeting be read at a board meeting. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the board), or a majority vote with previous notice.

...Though that would not extend to what was said at the meeting in debate but merely what the minutes say. The minutes should only reflect what was done at the meeting and so the juicy details should remain a mystery.

Archived