The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Building the Agenda

BarbaraL

As a newly appointed board member with no previous board experience and having no guidance from my board other than "read Robert's Rules", I am asking how to get an item on the agenda; specifically, as treasurer, I want to discuss what I feel is a necessity to form a finance committee. Would this not be an agenda item?

Well, you might begin by looking at FAQ #14.

Another question I have then, since I was told that to add an item to the agenda in my organization I need only ask at any time to have it included (we meet monthly). I asked to have my request for a finance committee on the agenda; and also asked to have a request for board review on information I am bringing concerning corporate credit cards for a decision.

(there was a suggestion from the floor that the treasurer(me)gather information.

Now it appears I am being told that I should not have gathered any information to bring to the board; but I don't understand why especially in view of the fact that this suggestion (actually, a request of sorts) came from two employees who are currently being reimbursed for their own out-of-pocket expenses, and they expressed a need to conduct business in a more professional manner.

The question is, have I so far made any procedural mistakes?

Thank-you.

Or you can just bring them up -- as formally phrased motions, please! -- under "New Business". RONR doesn't require an (advance) agenda at all. Maybe your rules do, however, be sure to check them.

Completely understood; I have asked for items to be placed on the agenda, and if I find they are not, will make the formal motion under "New Business" Thank-you for your help. I think part of the issue is that we are all inexperienced board members. I am confident we will find our way with as few "mistakes" as possible and have some formal guidance locally in the near future. In the interim, this site is an excellent resource.

Archived