The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer Elections please help!

Guest kate1180

Hi all, I am a memeber of the Band Boosters. Our bylaws state that officers will be nominated and elected every May. Well here is the problem. Our VP has not shown up at many meeting this year, including the one in May where we held elections. We did not do anything about her postition. The bylaws say that the newly elected officers take over at the June meeting. Well, since she was not at the May meeting and technically did not get elected, is she still VP? No one can ever get ahold of her to ask if she still wants to be. We figure that if she does not show up at the June meeting then she has given up her seat on the board. Can we then elected a new VP?

Hi all, I am a memeber of the Band Boosters. Our bylaws state that officers will be nominated and elected every May. Well here is the problem. Our VP has not shown up at many meeting this year, including the one in May where we held elections. We did not do anything about her postition. The bylaws say that the newly elected officers take over at the June meeting. Well, since she was not at the May meeting and technically did not get elected, is she still VP? No one can ever get ahold of her to ask if she still wants to be. We figure that if she does not show up at the June meeting then she has given up her seat on the board. Can we then elected a new VP?

If you didn't hold an election for VP then no election was held. It doesn't matter one iota under RONR whether an officer is at the meeting or not. You should hold the election anyway. So at the June meeting you all should complete what you should have done in May and hold the election for VP (and strongly consider electing someone who will show up at meetings).

You should already have elected a new VP.

You certainly don't need her permission, since her term is up. Depending on your bylaws, she may or may not still techincally be VP, until her successor is elected, but the only reason a successor was not elected is that you folks dropped the ball.

She does not get to delay the election, does not get to decide who succeeds her, and does not get the right of first refusal for the job. Just elect a new VP like your bylaws tell you to do, and stop worrying about what people who don't do their jobs might think about it. Do not "get ahold" of her, don't ask her anything. Her opinion has no weight. If she wanted the job, she should have said something long ago. And maybe showed up at some meetings?

You have an incomplete election for the office of Vice President and you must fill that office as provided in your bylaws. As soon as possible, hold that election, fill the office, and everything is fine.

You should already have elected a new VP.

You certainly don't need her permission, since her term is up. Depending on your bylaws, she may or may not still techincally be VP, until her successor is elected, but the only reason a successor was not elected is that you folks dropped the ball.

She does not get to delay the election, does not get to decide who succeeds her, and does not get the right of first refusal for the job. Just elect a new VP like your bylaws tell you to do, and stop worrying about what people who don't do their jobs might think about it. Do not "get ahold" of her, don't ask her anything. Her opinion has no weight. If she wanted the job, she should have said something long ago. And maybe showed up at some meetings?

You have an incomplete election for the office of Vice President and you must fill that office as provided in your bylaws. As soon as possible, hold that election, fill the office, and everything is fine.

Thank you both for your response. I should have added one thing, no one that was at the meeting wanted the job. I gave up secretary and we eleceted a new one, but I have been thinking about it, and even though my daughter has been out of Band for 1 year now, if no one steps up at the June meeting then I will do it.

Gary, you are right, she should have no say, she should not get forst choice as to whether or not she wants to stay on, she should have been at the meeting if she wanted to still be VP.

Archived