The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting procedure

Guest guest_larry

In a recent council meeting, a member voted "pass" on a resolution. It is my understanding that a "pass" vote is not a recordable vote and when the roll call is completed that individual's name is called again for a vote. Is that correct? In this situation the vote was recorded in the minutes as "pass" and nothing else done.

In a recent council meeting, a member voted "pass" on a resolution. It is my understanding that a "pass" vote is not a recordable vote and when the roll call is completed that individual's name is called again for a vote. Is that correct? In this situation the vote was recorded in the minutes as "pass" and nothing else done.

Yes... except it's not a "pass" vote, since it's not a vote at all.

"Each member, as his name is called, responds in the affirmative or negative as shown above. If he does not wish to vote, he answers present (or abstain). If he is not ready to vote, but wishes to be called on again after the roll has been completely called, he answers pass." RONR, p. 406

I agree. It seems, though, that the councilman was not perplexed when his name was not called again, so my guess is that this body has confounded "pass" and "abstain".

One wonders why he didn't open his mouth when the vote was about to be announced and note that he was not called upon a second time.

Too late now. It comes under the "you snooze, you lose" rule.

It seems, though, that the councilman was not perplexed when his name was not called again, so my guess is that this body has confounded "pass" and "abstain".

One wonders why he didn't open his mouth when the vote was about to be announced and note that he was not called upon a second time.

It seems perfectly reasonable to think that "pass" means "pass" and not "ask me again after you've asked everyone else".

But that is exactly what pass means.

Well, it means that in RONR-Land but one needn't wonder why some might think it means what it says. I'm not saying one doesn't have a certain obligation to learn the nomenclature, I'm just saying that the meanings of a few of the terms used in RONR are not exactly intuitive. Such as what's "previous" about the previous question and what's "executive" about an executive session.

Well, it means that in RONR-Land but one needn't wonder why some might think it means what it says. I'm not saying one doesn't have a certain obligation to learn the nomenclature, I'm just saying that the meanings of a few of the terms used in RONR are not exactly intuitive. Such as what's "previous" about the previous question and what's "executive" about an executive session.

I think that the meaning of "pass" is consistent with "pass me by now, but come back to me later". Anyone who has ever watched a political convention roll-call of the states has seen it used in exactly that way.

But it is possible the voter was making a pass at the secretary.

Archived