The Official RONR Q & A Forums

surprise ballot

Guest Sally Tom

At my professional association's business meeting, we were debating an important, hotly contested issue. After the pre-established time for debate ended, the president announced, "The Board has decided that this is so important, we should vote by paper ballot." I have been attending these business meetings for decades and cannot remember any previous vote at a business meeting being handled via a paper ballot whose existence was announced seconds before the voting commenced. A staff person of the organization told me that the Board members choose the paper ballot because they thought that people who wanted to vote against the issue would be reluctant to do so if others could see them voting in that way. The organization uses Robert's Rules as its parliamentary authority. Does what the Board did conform to Robert's Rules? Thank you.

At my professional association's business meeting, we were debating an important, hotly contested issue. After the pre-established time for debate ended, the president announced, "The Board has decided that this is so important, we should vote by paper ballot." I have been attending these business meetings for decades and cannot remember any previous vote at a business meeting being handled via a paper ballot whose existence was announced seconds before the voting commenced. A staff person of the organization told me that the Board members choose the paper ballot because they thought that people who wanted to vote against the issue would be reluctant to do so if others could see them voting in that way. The organization uses Robert's Rules as its parliamentary authority. Does what the Board did conform to Robert's Rules? Thank you.

No, not if this was a meeting of the general membership. The assembly that is meeting can order a vote to be taken by ballot. A majority vote is required to adopt such an order. The board should not be dictating procedure for the assembly of the organization. Instead, a board member (if also a general member) could have made a motion that the vote be taken by ballot.

A staff person of the organization told me that the Board members choose the paper ballot because they thought that people who wanted to vote against the issue would be reluctant to do so if others could see them voting in that way.

The underlying belief is sound. "A member who believes that a secret vote will give a truer expression of the assembly's will on a pending motion can move that the vote on the motion be taken by ballot. " RONR, p. 274.......but the procedure was improper, as Tim explained.

The underlying belief is sound. "A member who believes that a secret vote will give a truer expression of the assembly's will on a pending motion can move that the vote on the motion be taken by ballot. " RONR, p. 274.......but the procedure was improper, as Tim explained.

...However, since the assembly apparently didn't follow all of their parliamentary options (a timely Point of Order, the Chair ruling, and the ruling being Appealed) whatever decision was reached by the ballot vote is still valid (RONR pp. 243-244).

Archived