The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw impact to a slate

ecugss

Our organization uses Robert's and we have a nominating committee that meets to review applications for office to the new term. They met and created a slate as required. A bylaw proposal was then sent to the Parliamentarian for consideration at our next meeting. The proposal is to add a new position that essentially takes two other positions and alleviates the workload. Since the proposal hasn't passed and wasn't even an issue when the nominating committee met, the committee didn't prepare an "alternate" slate. Anyone that wanted to run from the floor was required by our bylaws to declare by today...the issue is, can an alternate slate be prepared now to be presented OR does the newly elected board fill the position that will be available (after our meeting)

The proposal is to add a new position that essentially takes two other positions and alleviates the workload.

Well, the proposed amendment might be defeated. Or you might (unwisely) hold the elections before you consider the amendment. In any case, I'd say the nominating committee should make its selections (the term "slate" should be avoided) based on the offices that currently exist, not the offices that might exist.

Well, the proposed amendment might be defeated. Or you might (unwisely) hold the elections before you consider the amendment. In any case, I'd say the nominating committee should make its selections (the term "slate" should be avoided) based on the offices that currently exist, not the offices that might exist.

The amendment will be voted on the day before the elections.

The amendment will be voted on the day before the elections.

If new positions are created after the committee has reported, the nominating committee should meet immediately to agree upon other nominations. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 421, l. 1-5.

If it happens before the committee report... I don't see a problem.

Archived