The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member At Large

hollygolightly

Hello,

The President of a Homeowner's Association Board had me serve as Secretary at a Board meeting, then informed me weeks later that I was elected as as a Member at Large (which I never knew), not Secretary. This did not appear in any minutes, either.

I submitted minutes for correction and never received feedback. However, at the next meeting, the draft minutes I submitted were reviewed and corrected item by item, which was time-consuming, and, to my mind, counterproductive. If I had received feedback, the corrected minutes could have been reviewed and approved, with additions at that time. I wrote the President and told him I would happily agree to serve as Secretary if the minutes were corrected upon submission in advance of the meeting for review on the Agenda at the next meeting. I felt this was a reasonable request.

Do you have any input or guidelines to offer? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Do you have any input or guidelines to offer?

You're free to ask for input prior to submitting your draft at the next meeting and members are free to honor or ignore that request. If that's not acceptable, you can always resign.

I'm not sure what being a "member-at-large" (assuming there is such a thing) has to do with it.

Hello,

The President of a Homeowner's Association Board had me serve as Secretary at a Board meeting, then informed me weeks later that I was elected as as a Member at Large (which I never knew), not Secretary. This did not appear in any minutes, either.

I submitted minutes for correction and never received feedback. However, at the next meeting, the draft minutes I submitted were reviewed and corrected item by item, which was time-consuming, and, to my mind, counterproductive. If I had received feedback, the corrected minutes could have been reviewed and approved, with additions at that time. I wrote the President and told him I would happily agree to serve as Secretary if the minutes were corrected upon submission in advance of the meeting for review on the Agenda at the next meeting. I felt this was a reasonable request.

Do you have any input or guidelines to offer? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

First, read RONR(10th ed.), p. 442-444; p. 451-458; & p. 343-344. Then, Report back with more questions.

Archived