The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do gifts to an organization need board approval?

Guest shirley tegtmeyer

Guest shirley tegtmeyer

A volunteer committe staged a fund raiser with proceeds going to the museum.

the committee now wants to specify where the money will go and the board says no, they have the final approval and may use it for operating costs. Can they do that, and if so would it have made any difference if the committee had advertised in advance that the funds would be going for XYZ project?

when is the board obligated to follow the wishes of the givers?

I would think any gift would be appreciated and the board would accept the wishes of the people doing the work. I also think it is unwise for the board to not follow the wishes of the volunteers as they may stop doing......

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

when is the board obligated to follow the wishes of the givers?

When the rules say they must.

But you're not even asking that the board follow the wishes of the givers, you're asking that the board follow the wishes of the committee that raised the funds from the givers. Maybe the committee is making the mistake of thinking that the money they raised from others is actually coming from the committee?

If I give a dollar to the kid at the supermarket entrance raising money for little league, I expect the league to determine how that dollar can best be spent, not me and not the kid at the door (though, of course, both he and I are free to suggest it be spent on beer).

A volunteer committe staged a fund raiser with proceeds going to the museum.

the committee now wants to specify where the money will go and the board says no, they have the final approval and may use it for operating costs.

RONR doesn't dictate who decides where money goes, except that the authority of a society is vested in its assembly, until it is delegated elsewhere. Has that authority (in regards to this money) been delegated to the board... or to the committee?

Can they do that, and if so would it have made any difference if the committee had advertised in advance that the funds would be going for XYZ project?

A committee can't give itself power by advertising.

Archived