The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolution in committee

Guest TAngell

We have a convention coming up wherein resolutions are drafted and submitted to the resolution committee for form and contact. If there is any financial issues in the resolution it is than forwarded to the finance committee for approval or rejection. My question goes to if the resolution goes against our current C&B and standing rules, and said resolution does not address said issue can the finance committee reject resolution before it is read on the floor. The resolutions are mailed out to each delegate, and available to all memembers upon registration - but if it should get killed at the finance committee do we need to read it on the floor just to advise everyone that it has been rejected?

if it should get killed at the finance committee do we need to read it on the floor just to advise everyone that it has been rejected?

You'll have to interpret your own bylaws but it seems to me that if the resolution never makes it past the finance committee (they killed it, after all), the committee's report might note that fact (depending on how detailed the report is) but the resolution itself would not be placed before the convention.

RONR doesn't grant any committee the authority to prevent resolutions from being placed before the assembly.

Your question seems to be about a resolution that conflicts with the constitution and bylaws. Such a motion should be ruled out of order by the chair. The Finance Committee should follow its directives in carrying out its duties. If the resolution doesn't contain any reasons (presumably financial) for rejection in accordance with the instructions given to the committee, the committee should leave it to the chair to make the ruling on whether or not the motion is in order.

You'll have to interpret your own bylaws but it seems to me that if the resolution never makes it past the finance committee (they killed it, after all), the committee's report might note that fact (depending on how detailed the report is) but the resolution itself would not be placed before the convention.

Thank you - that is what I thought - however I need to find that section in Roberts Rules so that I may address those that may want to know the procedure.

RONR doesn't cover this specific procedure of a finance committee rejecting motions. For committees screening motions, see RONR(10th ed.), p. 614-617, especially p. 616, l. 27 - p. 617, l. 8.

Archived