The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes and financials

Guest Diane Taylor

Guest Diane Taylor

Hi, I would like to know is the general membership of a California non-profit entitled to minutes and financials approved by the board of directors? I am being told they only get a summary. Is that true?

Thank you.

Hi, I would like to know is the general membership of a California non-profit entitled to minutes and financials approved by the board of directors? I am being told they only get a summary. Is that true?

Thank you.

Referring specifically to "a California non-profit" implies that you are seeking information concerning relevant laws applicable to such bodies. If so, I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place.

Hi

Sorry Take out Californis. Is a member entitled to full minutes and financials? Thank-you.

So far as RONR is concerned, the answer is no, an individual member does not have a right to the board's minutes or financial records. The general membership may order the board minutes to be read at a meeting of the general membership. This would require a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. RONR does not specifically address financial records (except the reports of the treasurer, but I suspect you have something more detailed in mind), but I believe a main motion would be sufficient to order the board to divulge such records. This would require a majority vote.

There may be state laws on this subject for non-profit organizations, but that is a question for a lawyer.

Is a member entitled to full minutes and financials?

All members of the board have a right to view the minutes of all board meetings (at the convenience of the secretary). Those who aren't members of the board (even if they're members of the organization) have no such individual right.

The general membership can order the minutes of board meetings read at a meeting of the general membership.

Access to financials (and any other reports and documents) is at the discretion of, ultimately, the general membership.

Archived