The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion but no 2nd

Guest Phil

If a motion is made but the Pres. does not give a chance for a 2nd and discussion begins, doesn't the motion have to be withdrawn before any action is taken? Ex. a motion was made, discussion began (before a 2nd), the Pres. suggested the subject be tabled until the next meeting so research could be done, at which time someone else made a motion to table and it was 2nd and voted upon. I contend, the original motion needed to be withdrawn before another motion could be made. I have tried to find this in Robert's Rules but no luck.

If a motion is made but the Pres. does not give a chance for a 2nd and discussion begins, doesn't the motion have to be withdrawn before any action is taken?

No. Once debate begins, the lack of a second is immaterial (p.35), though the president should behave himself.

But you're misusing the motion to lay on the table. See FAQ #12.

I contend, the original motion needed to be withdrawn before another motion could be made.

There are a number of motions that not only can be made while another motion is pending, but even a goodly number that can't be made unless another motion is pending. Lay On The Table could have been moved against the original motion under proper circumstances as well, although misused in this instance.

Archived