The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Missing Ballots

Guest Jeff b.

A vote was taken, and after the outcome, three absentee votes were found. The three votes found would have changed the outcome of the election. Should these three votes count? What should be done?

I take it that the bylaws don't specifically provide for absentee voting. If not, since the absentee votes would have affected the outcome of the election it is null and void and must be done again (RONR p. 244d).

I take it that the bylaws don't specifically provide for absentee voting. If not, since the absentee votes would have affected the outcome of the election it is null and void and must be done again (RONR p. 244d).

Another interpretation of Jeff's statement of the facts is that these three votes were not included in the original count, having been "found" after the vote was taken and the result announced.

Perhaps it will be helpful if Jeff provides more details, including whether or not the bylaws provide for some sort of absentee voting, and how these three absentee votes (ballots, I assume)) managed to get lost and then found.

Archived