The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consent Agenda

Guest David McCray

Guest David McCray

Could someone please reference the sections of Roberts Rules that refer to the Consent Agenda Process even if Consent Agenda is referred to as another term. In my town rthe Town Council has started putting items on with zero back up or background info including what may be considered as controversial issues sich as waiving a non drinking ordinance in a publi park for an event. No waiver had ever been granted before. I have questioned the Council and they have stated that the Consent Agenda is their purview and that discretion is totally up to the Chairman. They have a multi page rules and procedure manual for the Council but there are no guidelines for Consent Agenda. Am I barking up the wrong tree or are there guidelines that should be followed. Any input would be great

Thanks

Dave

I have questioned the Council and they have stated that the Consent Agenda is their purview and that discretion is totally up to the Chairman. They have a multi page rules and procedure manual for the Council but there are no guidelines for Consent Agenda. Am I barking up the wrong tree or are there guidelines that should be followed. Any input would be great

Any item or items which are put on the consent agenda must be removed and handled in the normal way on the demand of a single member. If there is anything on there which you believe requires any discussion at all, simply have it removed. Unless everyone "consents" it doesn't stay on the consent agenda.

And there is NOTHING which is "totally up to the Chairman" unless they can produce a hard and fast written rule saying so. And if they do, you can STILL move to rescind it.

Any item or items which are put on the consent agenda must be removed and handled in the normal way on the demand of a single member. If there is anything on there which you believe requires any discussion at all, simply have it removed. Unless everyone "consents" it doesn't stay on the consent agenda.

And there is NOTHING which is "totally up to the Chairman" unless they can produce a hard and fast written rule saying so. And if they do, you can STILL move to rescind it.

I get the impression the OP is not a member of the Council, and it sounds as if all the Council Members are agreeing (perhaps) to use the consent agenda to quietly move through things they are in agreement on, but which town residents may find controversial. If that's the case, you may be SOL other than to vote for new council members.

Archived