The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling a special business meeting

Perplexed

The by-laws for our organization do not specify who can call a special business meeting. Who is authorized to call a special business meeting?

Special meetings can only be called if the organization's bylaws (or other governing documents) authorize them. The bylaw should prescribe who can call them and how many days' notice must be given. Without such authorization, special meetings cannot be validly called. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 89, 90.

Special meetings can only be called if the organization's bylaws (or other governing documents) authorize them. The bylaw should prescribe who can call them and how many days' notice must be given. Without such authorization, special meetings cannot be validly called. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 89, 90.

My memory may be failing me but do I recall correctly that if the bylaws authorize Special Meetings but doesn't specify who can call one that the only way one can be called is by the body itself at a properly called meeting?

My memory may be failing me but do I recall correctly that if the bylaws authorize Special Meetings but doesn't specify who can call one that the only way one can be called is by the body itself at a properly called meeting?

Other than for what is said in RONR (10th ed.), pp. 634, 635, I do not understand why an assembly would call a special meeting rather than an adjourned meeting.

Yes, we can call special meetings with a one week notice but it doesn't specify who can call the meeting.

Then no one can. The general membership could but it would have to do so at a regular meeting, which kind of defeats the purpose. So you might want to amend your bylaws. See RONR's sample bylaws for one way of authorizing special meetings.

Then no one can. The general membership could but it would have to do so at a regular meeting, which kind of defeats the purpose. So you might want to amend your bylaws. See RONR's sample bylaws for one way of authorizing special meetings.

I'm not so sure if the bylaws say "Special meetings may be called with one week notice" the general membership should have the power to adopt a non-bylaw rule that says how.

Archived