The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New president resigned

Guest Shantel

On our board we have the position of Past President for the president who served their term to help the new incoming president which serves a 2 year term. Within a 5 month spand we have had 2 people resgin as president. I am being told that either of one of those resigned presidents that had can now can be appointed or seek the board position as past president over me.(one served a month and the other served 2 months)

I am arguing this saying that they had resign during their term, so they can no longer seek any privilages assocated with that role because they resigned all duties and association with the role of president. Stating that they can not serve as past president on the board if they did not serve their full term as president on the board.

Is there anything in Roberts rules that support my arguement?

No.

If your organization has unwisely granted an "automatic" (ex-officio) position to the person who is your (presumably immediate) past president, I'm afraid you'll have to live with it. Unless your bylaws say otherwise, the fact that he resigned as president (instead of completing his term) is irrelevant. He's now the immediate past president until the current president leaves office.

And if any past president (not just the immediate past president) is eligible then these two short-termers qualify as past presidents. Unless, again, your bylaws say otherwise.

Nope. You will need to look to your bylaws for loopholes but the English language seems to make it pretty clear that they both are Past Presidents.

They both served as President even for one day. Correct?

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition defines the term "past" as "denoting a person who has held and relinquished an office or position; former: a past president".

So wouldn't the English language and logic indicate that they both are Past Presidents even if they served for one microsecond?

Archived