The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

charinmass

Hi..I am hoping to get a little assistance in trying to figure out the correct way to go about our upcoming election. There are 7 members on our Tenant Assoc. Board which include President,Vice president, Secretary,Treasurer and 3 members at large. The V pres. is leaving the board 3 months before the election so the treasurer is moving up into the V pres position and a member at large is moving over to the treasurer spot. I became a member at large several months after the election when 1 member at large resigned and then for 6 months I held that position until the secretary was removed from office due to lack of fulfilling her duties and I moved up to secretary position so now we are unsure as to who actually is up for election. our term runs for 2 years and the original secretary's term is expiring in 3 months but I was moved up to secretary and voted in by tenants at a special meeting and have been in that spot for 6 months now so are my 2 years up because I took a spot that the past secretary was elected to for 2 years? Thank you for any help.

Unless your association rules have some special provisions, someone filling a vacancy in an office (including a directorship) holds the position until the next regular election for that position.

So, if I follow you correctly, you are indeed up for election as secretary come next September, presuming you want to run for the position. The timing of the election(s) goes by the position (Secretary every two years: September 2009, 2011, 2013, &c.), NOT by how long a particular person has been in the office.

I can't really tell from our write-up about those other positions, but I'm sure you can figure them out.

Unless your association rules have some special provisions, someone filling a vacancy in an office (including a directorship) holds the position until the next regular election for that position.

So, if I follow you correctly, you are indeed up for election as secretary come next September, presuming you want to run for the position. The timing of the election(s) goes by the position (Secretary every two years: September 2009, 2011, 2013, &c.), NOT by how long a particular person has been in the office.

I can't really tell from our write-up about those other positions, but I'm sure you can figure them out.

The V pres. is leaving the board 3 months before the election so the treasurer is moving up into the V pres position and a member at large is moving over to the treasurer spot.

Why? Why is the Treasurer moving into the VP slot? There is no "inheritance" as such in RONR, and unless your bylaws dictate this, the Treasurer and Member at large should stay put, and either you follow the vacancy filling provisions of your bylaws (if you have any, and I didn't get that you did) or you hold a special election for a new VP.

Thank you JDStackpole...So it seems that even thou I was originally brought in to replace a member at large after an election had already happened and then voted in by a special vote from tenants to fulfill the vacant secretary spot I still have to follow the original sectertarys 2 year term...Thats the way I understand it...am I right?

Why? Why is the Treasurer moving into the VP slot? There is no "inheritance" as such in RONR, and unless your bylaws dictate this, the Treasurer and Member at large should stay put, and either you follow the vacancy filling provisions of your bylaws (if you have any, and I didn't get that you did) or you hold a special election for a new VP.

Thank you JDStackpole...So it seems that even thou I was originally brought in to replace a member at large after an election had already happened and then voted in by a special vote from tenants to fulfill the vacant secretary spot I still have to follow the original sectertarys 2 year term...Thats the way I understand it...am I right?

Until he returns, I'll chime in with yes. Regardless of what position you originally held, or any along the way, the one you currently hold is the only one that matters.

Also, after you hit the Reply button, you should type your answer in the big white box below the quoted text -- just under where you will see

David our bylaws state that the board can appoint an interim Officer or another Board member to fulfill the vacancy until a special election can be held at the earliest quarterly meeting of the tenants assoc.

Fair enough. But it seems it would have been better to "appoint" the Member at Large to VP and leave the Treasurer in position. No sense moving two people around, plus any and all extra stuff to take care of with a new Treasurer (signature cards at the bank, auditing, etc). But that's just my take.

There are 7 members on our Tenant Assoc. Board which include President,Vice president, Secretary,Treasurer and 3 members at large.

You might want to avoid the term "member-at-large". You have seven directors (if it's a board of directors) or seven trustees (if it's a board of trustees), four of whom happen to also hold an additional office.

Archived