The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Item pulled from previous meeting minutes

Guest George

An item was voted on at a Board of Directors meeting. During the reading of the Board minutes at the regular membership meeting that item was pulled from the Board of Directors meeting; is it then discussed at that meeting or taken back to the Board of Directors for further discussion?

An item was voted on at a Board of Directors meeting.

What was the result of the vote? Did the motion pass or fail?

During the reading of the Board minutes at the regular membership meeting...

Why are you reading Board minutes at membership meetings? Is this something that was ordered by the membership, or do you think you are always supposed to do this? Normally, you read Board minutes at Board meetings, and membership minutes at membership meetings, and the twain rarely meet.

.... that item was pulled from the Board of Directors meeting;

No idea what this means. When you're reading the minutes (for approval), the items included are not usually still "actionable", and you typically can't "pull" an item from a meeting that happened in the past and do more about it now. If an item was sent to committee, or postponed, yes it will come up before the assembly again, but not during the reading of the minutes.

So, using some slightly more detailed, precise language, could you tell us what actually happened?

During the reading of the Board minutes at the regular membership meeting that item was pulled from the Board of Directors meeting;...

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If a membership meeting was in progress, then the Board meeting presumably was not in progress. And if the matter had already been decided a the (presumably completed) board meeting, then in what sense was it "pulled"? You can't go back in time and change what happened at a different meeting of a different body.

Reading of minutes tells what was decided at the Board meeting. Whatever was decided, and whether or not it was decided properly, is not affected by the reading of the minutes. And we have no information about what was decided or how.

That depends on what you mean by the item's being pulled. (That's not a standard parliamentary term, and I'v never heard it colloquially either, at least in a parliamentary sense. I've heard of pulled pork, but that probably doesn't apply.) What do you mean?

I have heard members of some societies refer to "pulling" items from a consent agenda, but I don't believe that's the situation here.

Archived