The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Condo Board President $$ decision making authority

Guest June

We live in a small condo community, less than 40 dwellings. Major costs (e.g. road, roofs, driveways, etc) are paid by members and we are made aware of expected costs and assessed for planning purposes. However, there have been occasions where the board president makes decisions independent of the board on spending money, up to $500. Although valid in terms of the repair, some of this money has been spent on repairs to his condo. Also, this money is being paid for from the community budget. The board did not approve these repairs or spending and in fact, evidently except for one other board member, were not aware of these repairs in advance. Also, there was no board decision that $500 was the limit the board president could make independent decisions, i.e. without going through board approval. The president says this is an "unwritten rule that a board president can spend up to $500 without board approval." Need some guidance here. Seems inappropriate.

The president says this is an "unwritten rule that a board president can spend up to $500 without board approval." Need some guidance here. Seems inappropriate.

Of course it's inappropriate, and you know that. He knows that. We all know that. You wouldn't be questioning it, otherwise. Can he spend 500$ every hour 'til the coffers are empty??? Unwritten rules aren't worth the paper they ain't written on. If it's not written in your bylaws (cuz a 500$ limit sure ain't in RONR) it doesn't exist. Vote him out, and you might consider talking to an attorney, not necessarily in that order.

Of course it's inappropriate, and you know that. He knows that. We all know that. You wouldn't be questioning it, otherwise. Can he spend 500$ every hour 'til the coffers are empty??? Unwritten rules aren't worth the paper they ain't written on. If it's not written in your bylaws (cuz a 500$ limit sure ain't in RONR) it doesn't exist. Vote him out, and you might consider talking to an attorney, not necessarily in that order.

...I might even call the cops because if there is no rule that he can spend Community's money without permission (on his own condo to boot) it sure seems that there could be criminal implications for doing so. I mean what makes him think he has the right to use funds without permission (and his excuse that there is some "unwritten rule" is total bovine guano!).

...I might even call the cops because if there is no rule that he can spend Community's money without permission (on his own condo to boot) it sure seems that there could be criminal implications for doing so. I mean what makes him think he has the right to use funds without permission (and his excuse that there is some "unwritten rule" is total bovine guano!).

Archived