The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Notes

drew98

Our Board meets once a month for meetings. The recording secretary takes notes and presents them at the next month's meeting to be approved.

Due to their absence, some board members are asking for the notes a few days after the actual meeting. Is there any guidelines for the time frame of making minutes from past meetings to be available? There is nothing in our by-laws.

Our Board meets once a month for meetings. The recording secretary takes notes and presents them at the next month's meeting to be approved.

Due to their absence, some board members are asking for the notes a few days after the actual meeting. Is there any guidelines for the time frame of making minutes from past meetings to be available? There is nothing in our by-laws.

The Secretary is under no obligation to produce the minutes from the previous meeting until the meeting in which they are to be approved. So the Board members will have to wait until the next meeting to find out what happened or ask a fellow Board member for the skinny. Of course the Secretary can make the draft minutes available prior to the next meeting (though he should first ask the Board (in a meeting) if that is OK.

Also, once the Minutes are approved, they become a formal document of the organization. A Board member can ask for the Minutes. While the Board, not an individual member, can demand that the Minutes be handed out - there is no practical reason why the Secretary cannot provide all members, either before the meeting, at the meeting, or after the meeting, a copy of the Minutes especially if asked politely.

The board can order it, but does the secretary have to comply? Suppose the board orders that a draft of the minutes be produced within 48 hours of the meeting, and the secretary does not want to make time to do so.

I think the Secretary would have to comply to the valid orders of the Board or be subject to discipline for insubordination. However, if I were the Secretary and I thought the Board was asking too much of me I would speak out against it in debate and also (if I felt strongly enough about it) I would inform them that if the motion was adopted I would with great regret be submitting my resignation as Secretary.

I think the Secretary would have to comply to the valid orders of the Board or be subject to discipline for insubordination.

Yes, but the question is whether the order is valid. :-)

If the bylaws simply say, as in the RONR sample bylaws, that the "officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws and by the parliamentary authority adopted by the Society," then what duty does the secretary have to prepare draft minutes well in advance of the next meeting?

Yes, but the question is whether the order is valid. :-)

If the bylaws simply say, as in the RONR sample bylaws, that the "officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws and by the parliamentary authority adopted by the Society," then what duty does the secretary have to prepare draft minutes well in advance of the next meeting?

If the bylaws did not impose any further duties on the Secretary other than what RONR imposes then I suppose the Board might be exceeding its authority (though I am not totally convinced they would be).

Archived