The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club President resigns

presmud

Our ATV Association President has resigned from being our club president and I would like to know if that individual would still be considered to fill the position af current past president?

If he was the President, and is not now, then he is a past President. If he is the most recent of past Presidents, then he would be the Immediate Past President (as the lingo usually goes, it seems, although RONR does not use that language), and I suppose that's pretty much the same thing as "current" past President.

Is there a reason you think he would not be the "current" past President, or should not be considered to fill that position? (And I'll assume your bylaws define the position of "current" past President, yes?)

If he was the President, and is not now, then he is a past President. If he is the most recent of past Presidents, then he would be the Immediate Past President (as the lingo usually goes, it seems, although RONR does not use that language), and I suppose that's pretty much the same thing as "current" past President.

Is there a reason you think he would not be the "current" past President, or should not be considered to fill that position? (And I'll assume your bylaws define the position of "current" past President, yes?)

I was looking at since the individual resigned from the position they would not be considered as the current past president and would have a vote in decision making.

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws, however, the simple dictionary meanings of the words would suggest that the "current past president" (more commonly called the "immediate past president") is the person who most recently held the office of President. The fact that he resigned from the office of President doesn't change that.

In the long run, it would be best to remove the position from your Bylaws altogether.

Archived