The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes - Review by Presiding Officer?

Guest Jari Honora

Within one particular association of which I am a member, the president has a habit of asking the recording secretary to send her the minutes after they are written so that she can review and/or proofread them. As is normal, the membership accepts or rejects the minutes at the next meeting. Is the middle step of sending them to the presiding officer for review done elsewhere or should it be done at all? I would say that it could potentially lead to doctored minutes.

Oh, it's done. There's no rule against it. (I'm often tempted to suggest that the minutes be reviewed by the Club Editor rather than the president, but I usually forbear ... darn it, you sucked me out.) If it helps the secretary clean up the minutes between meetings, what harm is done? As long as no "doctoring" (nice term) is involved, it looks to me like volunteer help. And if the secretary doesn't want any help, she can just say "No thank you."

[Edited to ramble some]

As is normal, the membership accepts or rejects the minutes at the next meeting.

So why worry about "doctoring"?

I'd bet GcT and Fluffy lunch on Flatbush Avenue that the minutes contain far more than RONR says they should contain. If they look like the sample minutes in RONR, doctoring is hardly possible.

I'll say. The one time I was ever invited (allowed) to take the minutes, there was, to my astonishment, uproar at the next meeting, during the reading of the minutes, on hearing my repeated accurate reporting that "Then Gary Tesser gave a great speech." Given this ungrateful reception, I generously proposed striking out that sentence in every instance. You know what? they instead voted to reject the minutes entirely, and directed the president to construct a better version, since, having been absent at that previous meeting, he could be impartial.

[forever tweaking]

I'll say. The one time I was ever invited (allowed) to take the minutes, there was, to my astonishment, uproar at the next meeting, during the reading of the minutes, on hearing my repeated accurate reporting that "Then Gary Tesser gave a great speech." Given this ungrateful reception, I generously proposed striking out that sentence in every instance. You know what? they instead voted to reject the minutes entirely, and directed the president to construct a better version, since, having been absent at that previous meeting, he could be impartial.

[forever tweaking]

(Ms Ford, and others: On this website, you have to hit "Add Reply" right AFTER you have typed in your own post. Otherwise it just looks as if you think what Gary Tesser wrote last week deserves repeating.)

The powers that be on this website feel your postings are so deserving that you are memorialized on the old forum as having the last post ever. Ms. Ford copying your reply is therefore hardly shocking.

Within one particular association of which I am a member, the president has a habit of asking the recording secretary to send her the minutes after they are written so that she can review and/or proofread them.

There's nothing wrong with the asking. Officers should cordially work together, whenever possible.

As is normal, the membership accepts or rejects the minutes at the next meeting.

The membership shouldn't be asked to accept or reject the minutes. After the minutes are read, the chair should call for corrections. When there are no (further) corrections, the minutes should be declared approved. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 343 for the proper procedure.

Is the middle step of sending them to the presiding officer for review done elsewhere or should it be done at all?

Archived