The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR

gregory

Our current bylaws states the membership meetings will be governed by Roberts Rules of Order, Revised.

I want to update the bylaw as to what RONR states on page 569. However, in doing so, I will need to state

the reasons for the change, Can someone tell me the downside to using Roberts Rules of Order, Revised?

Is it still in print? Can you buy it new? Can you find it used? What about Content, is there specific content in

RONR that is better than Roberts Rules of Order, Revised. If so, what would be the most useful example of dated

content in Roberts Rules of Order, Revised to use as an example of discontinuing it?

Our current bylaws states the membership meetings will be governed by Roberts Rules of Order, Revised.

I want to update the bylaw as to what RONR states on page 569. However, in doing so, I will need to state

the reasons for the change, Can someone tell me the downside to using Roberts Rules of Order, Revised?

Is it still in print? Can you buy it new? Can you find it used? What about Content, is there specific content in

RONR that is better than Roberts Rules of Order, Revised. If so, what would be the most useful example of dated

content in Roberts Rules of Order, Revised to use as an example of discontinuing it?

Your parliamentary authority is currently Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 10th edition. In about three or four months, the 11th edition will automatically become the parliamentary authority, whether the wording of bylaws is updated or not. See RONR (10th ed.), ii, in the very front of the book (the page before the title page).

I'm pretty sure it's out of print, and the only way to get a new copy is to find somebody who bought it when it was new and never opened it.

The most glaring reason to upgrade, as Mr Elsman helpfully implies, is that it's too hard for everyone who wants a copy of ROR to find one.

For examples, look at the four pages in the preface of your Tenth that show changes from the Ninth; there are similar notes in the prefaces of the Ninth and Seventh. (I can't say for the 8th; my copy is in a landfill.) For my money, the greatest change is that ROR says that a motion that has been defeated can be rescinded. I got a list; you want to come over, I'll show you.

Archived