The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Wheh a call to vote has to be acknowledged

Guest Thomas Reichhold

Guest Thomas Reichhold

At a board of Directors meeting a motion was made and seconded then opened for discussion.After minutes of discussion a Board member said "I call for the vote".At that time one member still had their hand up to be heard and another member put their hand up after call was made.The President running the meeting looked and said "I see two people still have their hands up,do I call on them or take the vote"? Someone said take the vote so he did.My question is this was this correct procedure or should he have heard the two members before taking vote?

At a board of Directors meeting a motion was made and seconded then opened for discussion.

After minutes of discussion a Board member said "I call for the vote".

At that time one member still had their hand up to be heard and another member put their hand up after call was made.

The President running the meeting looked and said "I see two people still have their hands up,do I call on them or take the vote"?

Someone said take the vote so he did.

Was this correct procedure

or should he have heard the two members before taking vote?

Wait! -- "Take the vote ..." -- on WHAT?

• on the motion to close debate?

• on the pending question (the motion on the floor at the time the member move to close debate, what you say, "call for the vote")?

In general:

The chair is NOT to recognize members for purposes of debate once the Previous Question (namely, the motion to close debate) is moved and seconded.

Once the Previous Question is moved and seconded, a vote is taken on the Previous Question.

• If adopted, then you vote on the pending question. -- That is, DEBATE IS CLOSED.

• If rejected, then DEBATE CONTINUES, and the chair continues to call on members.

It's in control of the assembly, whether the assembly wishes to allow the final two members to speak.

At a board of Directors meeting a motion was made and seconded then opened for discussion.After minutes of discussion a Board member said "I call for the vote".At that time one member still had their hand up to be heard and another member put their hand up after call was made.The President running the meeting looked and said "I see two people still have their hands up,do I call on them or take the vote"? Someone said take the vote so he did.My question is this was this correct procedure or should he have heard the two members before taking vote?

The chair should ignore (or possibly reprimand) anyone who blurts out "I call for the vote" without being recognized. A motion for the Previous Question may not interrupt someone who has the floor, and it is the chair's duty to protect the speaker from interruption.

The member wishing to end debate should have awaited recognition along with the two people wishing to speak on the motion, and if recognized, should have said "I move the Previous Question". This motion requires a second, is not debatable, and needs a two-thirds vote to pass, not just someone else blurting out agreement. If adopted, debate ends, and the matter being considered proceeds to a vote immediately. If the motion is not passed, then debate continues.

The practice of calling out is rude and discourteous, and should be stepped on like a bug. And in small boards and committees, the motion for the Previous Question is not appropriate to begin with. How big was this meeting?

Archived