The Official RONR Q & A Forums

replacing a board members

Guest Linda Cross

Our bylaws state there are to be seven board members. In the last two weeks, two of those board members have resigned. The bylaws state that the President is to appoint replacements if any office of the board is vacated. Is this madatory? To date it sounds like the remaining board members intend to carry on for the rest of the year with only five board members.

Our bylaws state there are to be seven board members.

In the last two weeks, two of those board members have resigned.

The bylaws state that the President is to appoint replacements if any office of the board is vacated.

Is this mandatory?

To date it sounds like the remaining board members intend to carry on for the rest of the year with only five board members.

Do you mean, "Does the president have to do the appointments immediately?"

I don't know.

Your rule is NOT lifted from Robert's Rules of Order.

So its intent and meaning could be anything Funk & Wagnall's says (or Merriam-Webster says).

"The power to appoint" does not automatically imply, "and do so immediately."

Our bylaws state there are to be seven board members. In the last two weeks, two of those board members have resigned. The bylaws state that the President is to appoint replacements if any office of the board is vacated. Is this madatory?

Well, yes, but I think common sense comes into play. If the annual meeting is coming up very soon, I could understand just "waiting out the clock." If there is a fair amount of time left, however, the President should make every effort to fill the vacancies so that the society is in compliance with its Bylaws.

Archived