The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Publishing Minutes

grammaconnie

My questions relate to "Minutes to be published as discussed on page 458 of RONR." What is the meaning of published? If minutes are posted on a bulletin board, is that considered published? Why must published minutes contain more detailed information than non-published minutes?

Regarding approval of minutes, a board member is adamant that minutes can be approved at special meetings. RONR says "A special meeting does not approve minutes, its minutes should be approved at the next regular meeting." The wording "its minutes" is confusing. Is RONR saying minutes of special meetings cannot be approved at special meetings, or is RONR saying minutes of all meetings cannot be approved at a special meeting?

My questions relate to "Minutes to be published as discussed on page 458 of RONR." What is the meaning of published? If minutes are posted on a bulletin board, is that considered published?

No.

Why must published minutes contain more detailed information than non-published minutes?

Because that is the purpose of such a publication (but don't get hung up on this).

Regarding approval of minutes, a board member is adamant that minutes can be approved at special meetings. RONR says "A special meeting does not approve minutes, its minutes should be approved at the next regular meeting." The wording "its minutes" is confusing. Is RONR saying minutes of special meetings cannot be approved at special meetings, or is RONR saying minutes of all meetings cannot be approved at a special meeting?

Minutes of any kind of meeting can only be approved at a special meeting if such approval is mentioned in the call of the meeting as being one of the purposes for which the meeting was called (which would be highly unusual).

My questions relate to "Minutes to be published as discussed on page 458 of RONR." What is the meaning of published? If minutes are posted on a bulletin board, is that considered published? Why must published minutes contain more detailed information than non-published minutes?

The meetings of some scientific, philosophical, theological, and professional societies mainly consist of the presentation of papers and lectures that are published in full in the bound journals of the societies' proceedings. You can contact your local university's reference library to examine some of these. I think what is said on p. 458 is intended to apply to these kinds of journals.

Archived