The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing a past president from a volunteer board

flrdyz1

Our Past President has not been able to detach from the presidency role. It has been 2 years since the presidency. This person sends out emails calling for exec meetings, has signed documents as current President, and is a basic disruption of the entire board. Our by laws do not outline how to remove a person from the board. Many people have asked for this persons removal or they will quit. We have lost 4 good board members in the past year because of this. How do we remove this person?

Our Past President has not been able to detach from the presidency role. It has been 2 years since the presidency. This person sends out emails calling for exec meetings, has signed documents as current President, and is a basic disruption of the entire board. Our by laws do not outline how to remove a person from the board. Many people have asked for this persons removal or they will quit. We have lost 4 good board members in the past year because of this. How do we remove this person?

Is this person the Immediate Past President? If so, and if your bylaws specify that the Immediate Past President is a member of the board, you can't. That is one of the reasons (maybe the main one) that most of the regulars here strongly discourage giving the IPP any automatic role.

Our Past President has not been able to detach from the presidency role.

It has been 2 years since the presidency.

This person sends out emails calling for exec meetings, has signed documents as current President, and is a basic disruption of the entire board.

Our by laws do not outline how to remove a person from the board.

Many people have asked for this persons removal or they will quit.

We have lost 4 good board members in the past year because of this.

How do we remove this person?

How do you remove a past president?

By being "past" president, is he not already removed? He isn't president. So he is out of office, by definition, is he not?

Where is your current president while your Past President is "signing documents as current President"?

Can you not tell who is signing your documents, the Past President or the current president?

Kim. C'mon. Look at the Original Poster's (I won't try to spell it, or even count its number) third sentence: obviously the IPP is a member of the board, and the question is on removing the IPP from the board.

Weldon ... I don't think so. If the bylaws defined a board as the officers, with or without other directors, do you think none of them could be removed? I don't; so I don't think defining the IPP as a board member makes him immune to removal.

What do you think?

Weldon ... I don't think so. If the bylaws defined a board as the officers, with or without other directors, do you think none of them could be removed? I don't; so I don't think defining the IPP as a board member makes him immune to removal.

What do you think?

First of all, the IPP may or may not be defined as an "officer," whether or not the board is defined to include that poisition. (Do you think George Bush is an "officer" in the Obama adminstration?) But even if the IPP is an officer, unlike the other officers, the IPP is neither elected nor appointed to the position, so your analogy is invalid. By (plain English) definition, the IPP is the person who most recently held the office of president before the current president. The only events that can remove an IPP from that position are death, or the current president leaving office and becoming the new IPP. While it is possible for a society to adopt a bylaw defining the IPP differently, or allowing removal from the board, few organziatiion that include the IPP on the board are far sighted enough to do that, which is why this sort of question occurs so often in this forum. Indeed, even expulsion of the IPP from membership in the society will not remove him or her from the position of IPP, nor from the board unless the bylaws specifically provide that board membesr must be society members. Much better to not have the IPP automatically serve on the board in the first place.

Well, if the current president resigns, he becomes the IPP. If you reappoint him to president, now he's both?

If the current President resigns he would become the IPP (pushing out the "bad" IPP) and the VP would become the President. I suppose the (now) President could resign becoming the IPP (pushing the "good" IPP out). Then there is no President or VP and the assembly can fill both vacancies with whoever the heck they want. Of course, by this time I would have resigned due to the splitting headache the whole thing gave me!

He resigns; the guy you want to be IPP is appointed, then he resigns, then you reappoint the first one.

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Well, assuming the President, the Vice President, the other guy, and the body authorized to fill the resulting vacancies all agree to this plan, it would work, although I think it would be better for the society to just do away with the IPP position altogether.

Archived