The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian

grammaconnie

The president of our association appointed a resident to act as parliamentarian. Since we are a small board many do not feel the need for a parliamentarian. I believe this person has overstepped his duties as parliamentarian in that he interjects his opinion on topics being discussed by the board whenever he wishes, even though he has not been asked by the president. He acts as though he is a member of the board.

It is my understanding that the role of a parliamentarian is to advise the president when asked; otherwise he is silent. Is this not so?

It is my understanding that the role of a parliamentarian is to advise the president when asked; otherwise he is silent. Is this not so?

Well, the role of the parliamentarian is to quietly advise the President on matters of parliamentary procedure. He should not address the rest of the assembly unless the President asks him to do so, and even then, that would be for the purpose of speaking on some matter of parliamentary procedure. The Parliamentarian should never speak in debate on other matters, with or without the President's permission.

Since the parliamentarian is not a member of the board, he has no right to be present at the board meeting, so the board could order him to leave the meeting by majority vote. This seems appropriate, since a small board likely has no need for a parliamentarian and he doesn't seem to be a very good parliamentarian anyway.

Archived