The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consequence of Bylaw revisions

cawilly

Our organization amended their bylaws at our recent annual meeting. These amendments eliminated several organizational committees. The description of duties for many of the officers and elected officials point to working relationships with these committees and we amended (eliminated) most of them too. I say most because 2 or 3 slipped by our editing. The question is then do we need to specifically amend (eliminate) these missed relationships at next years annual meeting or by eliminating these committees all together does that allow us to amend the description of duties without vote? i.e. the relationship no longer exists because the committee no longer exists.

C. Williams

Our organization amended their bylaws at our recent annual meeting. These amendments eliminated several organizational committees. The description of duties for many of the officers and elected officials point to working relationships with these committees and we amended (eliminated) most of them too. I say most because 2 or 3 slipped by our editing. The question is then do we need to specifically amend (eliminate) these missed relationships at next years annual meeting or by eliminating these committees all together does that allow us to amend the description of duties without vote? i.e. the relationship no longer exists because the committee no longer exists.

C. Williams

You should amend the bylaws to get rid of the relationships when the committee no longer exists. If you don't I can almost guarantee that 5,10,15 years down the road when most people who are there today will no longer be members someone will see a relationship to some Committee that no longer exists and come here to see what RONR/11 (or 12) has to say on the subject. Please save us one instance of having to tell them that RONR doesn't speak on the subject and they need to go back to the organization and figure out how to proceed (probably having to amend the bylaws which is something that should have been done in the first place). ;):lol:

You must amend your bylaws at the next opportunity to clean up the mess caused by the most recent amendments. You may not do so without following the amendment process, even though you now recognize the problem.

During the year, your organization will have to interpret its bylaws in the light of what they decide is meant by them. See page 570. To assist, you might consider raising a point of order noting the problem. The chairman can then rule on your point of order. The assembly can vote, establishing a precedent, if needed.

-Bob

Archived