The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meetings

Guest JimmyB

If 6 out of 7 Board members meet specifically but don't call it a meeting to discuss corp business without properly notifying all the owners is this a meeting of the Clubs Board?

A meeting is only valid if it was validly called (all members of the body are notified of the meeting, a call of the meeting is sent out, and any other requirements the bylaws impose).

Thanks Chris,

Our Board is choosing to have this meeting in secret I'm sorry I should have been more clear. Is it OK to do this and or is it legal is my question? We have had allot of issues with our BOD meeting in secret. I know in Public areas like School Boards this would violate the Brown act. Any thoughts?

Jimmy

Our Board is choosing to have this meeting in secret I'm sorry I should have been more clear. Is it OK to do this and or is it legal is my question? We have had allot of issues with our BOD meeting in secret. I know in Public areas like School Boards this would violate the Brown act. Any thoughts?

It violates no rule in RONR. Whether it violates state law is beyond the scope of this forum. You should consult a lawyer.

If 6 out of 7 Board members meet specifically but don't call it a meeting to discuss corp business without properly notifying all the owners is this a meeting of the Clubs Board?

Where is board member #7 in this? Did he get notified of the "secret meeting?" Why would the board need to notify all the owners of the meeting? Is that requirement somewhere in your governing documents? If the board doesn't call it a meeting, then maybe it isn't a meeting. Maybe they're just getting together to talk, in advance of a meeting?

Archived