The Official RONR Q & A Forums

regular board meeting vs special meeting

Guest CTC-PA

Thanks to the many who have responded to my previous questions regarding this topic. As a review, the president of our youth organization has requested that a special meeting be held in place of the regular meeting. I previously addressed this issue with this forum. The response I recieved is that the special meeting is to be held in between regular meetings if an important issue arising that can not wait until our next regularly scheduled board meeting. I have also learned that what ever the issue is, it can be addressed after we conduct our regular scheduled meeting. The president is still insisting on holding a special meeting in place of the general meeting. My concern is, we have several inexperience board members who do not know parlimentary procedure. We also have several items that need to be discussed concerning the business of the organization. In my opinion, this will take presidence over the special meeting issue (which I am under the impression has to do with secretary duties - this is the information, the president relayed to one board member). I have several questions, 1) if I arrive at the meeting this evening and the President is still attempting a special meeting - what should I do to get him to conduct the regular business of the organization. 2) what should be done if he refuses 3) as stated previously, some of our board members are inexperience and they feel that the president is within his powers to do what he is doing. If I decide to leave the meeting because he is not conducting the general meeting could this cause any type of problems for me with the board. (can they seek out some form of discipline action against me)

Can you give us the link to the thread you are referring to? I see two of them written by you but neither seem to fit the circumstances you are talking about. But while I wait for your response I will give a general answer to your questions:

1) Raise a Point of Order regarding whatever rule you think is being violated (since it is presumably about an improperly called Special Meeting you should look in your bylaws and in RONR pp. 89-90 and p. 244[a] or [e]).

2)Be prepared to Appeal the ruling (RONR pp. 247-252). Make sure you have someone who will be willing to second the Appeal.

3) Anything is possible. Whether they can validly discipline you depends on what powers the Board has regarding disciplining their own.

Can you give us the link to the thread you are referring to? I see two of them written by you but neither seem to fit the circumstances you are talking about. But while I wait for your response I will give a general answer to your questions:

1) Raise a Point of Order regarding whatever rule you think is being violated (since it is presumably about an improperly called Special Meeting you should look in your bylaws and in RONR pp. 89-90 and p. 244[a] or [e]).

2)Be prepared to Appeal the ruling (RONR pp. 247-252). Make sure you have someone who will be willing to second the Appeal.

3) Anything is possible. Whether they can validly discipline you depends on what powers the Board has regarding disciplining their own.

Here is the posted question

Based on the responses - he can not hold a special meeting in place of the regularly scheduled board meeting:

All members of our board were sent an email by the recording secretary on behalf of the President requesting a special meeting. In the subject area of the email that was sent it states "board members conduct". There is no indication as to what he is referring too, nor does it indicate who is calling the meeting. At this time, it is assumed it is the President. I have reviewed our bylaws and it indicates that Coaches and Board Members can be disciplined by the board if it is determined that their actions are determental to the operation of the organization. Based on this, I feel that the board members need to know the exact reason the special meeting is being called. The President has not shared this information with the Vice President either. Please advise if the reason for the special meeting should be more specific and do all board members have the right to know who requested the meeting?

thanks,

I have also learned that what ever the issue is, it can be addressed after we conduct our regular scheduled meeting.

Well, no, it would be addressed during your regular meeting - just after whatever other business you have planned. You can't do anything after the meeting is adjourned.

I think Chris H. has everything else covered.

Here is the posted question

Based on the responses - he can not hold a special meeting in place of the regularly scheduled board meeting:

All members of our board were sent an email by the recording secretary on behalf of the President requesting a special meeting. In the subject area of the email that was sent it states "board members conduct". There is no indication as to what he is referring too, nor does it indicate who is calling the meeting. At this time, it is assumed it is the President. I have reviewed our bylaws and it indicates that Coaches and Board Members can be disciplined by the board if it is determined that their actions are determental to the operation of the organization. Based on this, I feel that the board members need to know the exact reason the special meeting is being called. The President has not shared this information with the Vice President either. Please advise if the reason for the special meeting should be more specific and do all board members have the right to know who requested the meeting?

thanks,

The thread you're referring to seems to have no relation to this thread or to what you suggest the responses were.

Are you, perhaps, referring to this thread?

Archived