The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Un-withdrawing a nomination

Guest Jennifer Elle

Guest Jennifer Elle

A month ago, I was nominated for the Vice President of a club that I am in. I originally accepted, then withdrew. Now, with a vote 3 weeks away and a lot of thought, I WOULD really like to do it. New nominations are closed. Can I un-withdraw my nomination?

A month ago, I was nominated for the Vice President of a club that I am in. I originally accepted, then withdrew. Now, with a vote 3 weeks away and a lot of thought, I WOULD really like to do it. New nominations are closed. Can I un-withdraw my nomination?

When the time for the election arrives, the presiding officer should read the names of those who have been nominated and ask if there are any further nominations, at which you are free to nominate yourself (or have a friend nominate you). It will be up to the electors to decide if all this wavering is a promising sign of a good officer.

First I would move to reopen nominations (takes a majority vote-RONR p. 277) or have a buddy do it and nominate you/yourself. Another option if the assembly refuses to reopen nomination is to run a write in campaign (this only works if the vote is taken by ballot and the bylaws don't prohibit write-in voting) and have your buddies write you name down on the ballot (RONR p. 427).

Guest Jennifer Elle

OUr bylaws state that there can be no nominations from the floor at the voting meeting.

Guest Jennifer Elle

When the time for the election arrives, the presiding officer should read the names of those who have been nominated and ask if there are any further nominations, at which you are free to nominate yourself (or have a friend nominate you). It will be up to the electors to decide if all this wavering is a promising sign of a good officer.

We won't have a meeting before then, and our group is rather large, so I don't know how well a write in would work, but I guess its worth a shot. :)

We won't have a meeting before then, and our group is rather large, so I don't know how well a write in would work, but I guess its worth a shot. :)

Our good friend and colleague J.J. has been elected that way, and several of us have seen successful write-in campaigns......get YOUR like-minded friends to the meeting and you just might win.

Well dang all. even if doesn't specifically disallow it????

Nope. RONR pp. 408-409 are quite clear.

It is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that the right to vote is limited to the members of an organization who are actually present at the time the vote is taken in a legal meeting, although it should be noted that a member need not be present when the question is put. Exceptions to this rule must be expressly stated in the bylaws.

Sorry. :(

OUr bylaws state that there can be no nominations from the floor at the voting meeting.

Such a rule is suspendable. A motion to Suspend the Rules is not debatable and requires a 2/3 vote for adoption.

Can a motion be made through email?

No, but no rule in RONR prohibits, for instance, campaigning via e-mail. ;)

I'm not sure that rule would protect absentees, unless there were absentee ballots.

It protects absentees in the sense that, although persons may be elected without having been nominated (unless the rules state otherwise, and we haven't read the rules of this organization), those persons' chances are much lower, and after reviewing the list of nominees previously announced, members will take this fact into account in deciding whether to attend the meeting.

Josh, this looks like a rule that intends to protect the rights of absentees. Are you sure?

Possibly. I don't think we know enough about the organization's rules to know for sure. If it is intended to protect absentees, it would probably be best for the organization to prohibit write-in votes as well, or it doesn't quite do the job. For instance, even if one were to argue that the rule in question could not be suspended, I think it would be hard to argue that it would cause a continuing breach if it was suspended anyway, since the same result could be obtained through a write-in campaign (although likely with greater difficulty).

It protects absentees in the sense that, although persons may be elected without having been nominated (unless the rules state otherwise, and we haven't read the rules of this organization), those persons' chances are much lower, and after reviewing the list of nominees previously announced, members will take this fact into account in deciding whether to attend the meeting.

Do we know that the list of nominees is distributed to the membership? If it was, I agree that this would certainly be persuasive in arguing that the rule was intended to protect absentees.

Archived