The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Outburst by Board Pres. at BOD mtg

ems

Recently at one of our Board Mtgs. our property manager, whom sits with our board started to tell off one of our unit owners (yelling and belittling him) then our Board President chimed in having her say. It was so bad that a different board member sent him an apology saying how embarassed she was at the mtg. My question is how can one react to treatment like that? Is there any recourse? How do we get our Board to conduct a meeting properly?

Recently at one of our Board Mtgs. our property manager, whom sits with our board started to tell off one of our unit owners (yelling and belittling him) then our Board President chimed in having her say. It was so bad that a different board member sent him an apology saying how embarassed she was at the mtg. My question is how can one react to treatment like that? Is there any recourse? How do we get our Board to conduct a meeting properly?

Is the property manager employed and/or reporting to the board? If so, insist that this property manager change behavior, or else get someone in the job who can.

My question is how can one react to treatment like that?

Raise a Point of Order.

Is there any recourse?

Get a new President. Part of the role of the President is to enforce the rules of decorum, which is difficult to do if she can't even follow them herself. The appropriate response for the President would have been to call the property manager to order, not to follow up with her own outburst. See FAQ #20. Maybe get a new property manager too.

How do we get our Board to conduct a meeting properly?

Well, getting a President who understands the importance of decorum will go a long way.

Archived