The Official RONR Q & A Forums

without cause

wwdslovene

I do not understand what it means to remove a person from office (from a Board) "without cause". Obviously "with cause" means that at the trial

reasons and justifications are presented. Certainly a group can't assemble, and the majority simply says "we hate you and we're going to vote to

remove you by ballot". So what does "without cause" mean?

Leave out the "we hate you" business -- that would be a "cause" -- and you have "without cause". to a T.

I presume the "without cause" phrase is in your bylaws (it isn't in RONR), so it will be up to your association to figure out what it "really" means. Myself, I go for the plain meaning of the words: no "reasons" necessary, just enough votes.

Leave out the "we hate you" business -- that would be a "cause" -- and you have "without cause". to a T.

I presume the "without cause" phrase is in your bylaws (it isn't in RONR), so it will be up to your association to figure out what it "really" means. Myself, I go for the plain meaning of the words: no "reasons" necessary, just enough votes.

Well, RONR does define "cause" for removing an officer as "misconduct or neglect of duty in office." (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 642, lines 28-32) So I think in RONR, "we hate you" would fall under "without cause."

Certainly a group can't assemble, and the majority simply says "we hate you and we're going to vote to remove you by ballot".

In some assemblies, that is exactly what can happen (although it usually takes a 2/3 vote). Some organizations permit officers to be removed without a formal disciplinary process. You'll need to look to what your Bylaws say to determine how an officer may be removed in your organization.

Archived