The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Polling BOD on published agenda item

Guest Lana Hightower

Guest Lana Hightower

The Chairman of the BOD is conducting an e-mail poll of the BOD members and asking for a yes or no vote on a published agenda item for a phone conference scheduled in 3 days. Is this proper according to Robert's Rules of Order?

The Chairman of the BOD is conducting an e-mail poll of the BOD members and asking for a yes or no vote on a published agenda item for a phone conference scheduled in 3 days. Is this proper according to Robert's Rules of Order?

RONR does not allow voting by phone conference unless it is authoirized in the bylaws. Assuming your group's bylaws do allow it, nothing in RONR would preclude the chairman, or any other member, from polling members in advance and trying to get them to commit to vote one way or the other. (If the board is larger than about a dozen members, I would say the chairmn should not do it to preserve an appearance of imparitlaity, but no rule would prevent it.) But the only votes that count are those cast at the meeting (telephonic if allowed or in-person if not).

One (of several) problems with such a "poll" is that board members are being asked for a vote before the motion/issue if presented, debated, discussed, etc.

Is there another way to vote???? :huh:

Of course, we must assume the chairman is asking for one and not the other (I'd guess a yes vote), and by calling the BOD ahead of time and "pleading his case" in hopes of swaying the members to vote a certain way during the upcoming (is it today?) teleconference violates no rule. The members are free to vote as they wish of course.

Maybe, but I would take (and have taken) offense at this practice. It would not be a productive way of "lining up" my vote, and I would refuse to participate.

I might take offense and refuse, too. But neverthless, it violates no rule in RONR. A lot of things are not be good pratice, yet violate no rule.

Archived