The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Job of Treasurer

Guest Rosemarie

I am the new treasurer in my club. We were recently notified that a magazine which the club members should be getting was not paid for. In order to see how many members should be getting the magazine, I would have to go through a membership list, contact members to see if they get the magazine and compare my list with the list from the magazine. I believe it is the job of the membership chairman to gather the information and to then give me a list of who should be getting the magazine so I can send the money in. While the membership chairman was going thru the list, she found many inconsistencies: members on the list who have not gotten the magazine in two years, people who were on the list and never paid dues to become members, and a member or two who dropped out. This all took the membership chairmen hours to put together. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to do. I contend that it is not my job to go thru any list to see how many members we have in the club and who should be getting a magazine subscription. Please help me to identify whose responsibility this is.

As far as Robert's Rules is concerned, maybe. From reading P. 444 - 445 -- which I strongly recommend that Guest Rosemarie read at once -- I don't see an unambiguous answer to Guest Rosemarie's question. At least I can say it's not unambiguously the treasurer's job.

I contend that it is not my job to go thru any list to see how many members we have in the club and who should be getting a magazine subscription. Please help me to identify whose responsibility this is.

Well, I think p. 442 l. 29 places the first half of this squarely in the secretary's lap. It's also been my experience that in such matters as membership lists and recording of dues being paid, for example, the secretary is the point of contact who then, after appropriately noting a dues renewal, delivers any associated funds to the treasurer for deposit. Whether this means it's the secretary's duty to manage magazine subscription renewals is certainly up for argument. But I dare say without a bylaw-level notation in officer duties for the treasurer regarding this, I don't think Rosemarie should assume it's her responsibility any more than Nancy N should. :)

Archived