The Official RONR Q & A Forums

disolving a club

pamcelesnik

Ok I asked a while back about a President forced upon us by the mother clubwho did not win the majority votewhen the other guy quit

even though the mother clubs by laws say that all charter clubs are autonomous and shall govern themselve any way when we got rid of the phoney president they said because it was done electronicly over the phome it was questionalbe and they pulled our charter.and they started another national breed club. whom a great many of us refuse to join. any way our C&bl does not mention disolving the club. Alot of the members are running to the new club and want their money back. and they think they can force a vote to send the 20 thousand dollars gto the new club mind you this is a 501c incorporated club. al so mind you the new club charter says it will not affiliate with the old club and none of the members of the old club if they join or are allowed to join will not be allowed to run for office. Si I contend it we cannot affliate or cannot merge they get no money. My question is cam the membership force us to vote to disolve and give the new club our hard earned money or as long as there are members the club cannot be disolved ? Ps there is nothing about disolving a the club in our C&BL

There are many details (way too many for a internet forum to deal with properly) which would determine what rights you all have and how to proceed. I would recommend you all contact a local parliamentarian (to look over the governing documents of all involved organizations and to advise you all on parliamentary issues) and a lawyer (to advise you all on the myriad of legal issues that might crop up with this situation).

Ok I asked a while back about a President forced upon us by the mother clubwho did not win the majority votewhen the other guy quit

even though the mother clubs by laws say that all charter clubs are autonomous and shall govern themselve any way when we got rid of the phoney president they said because it was done electronicly over the phome it was questionalbe and they pulled our charter.and they started another national breed club. whom a great many of us refuse to join. any way our C&bl does not mention disolving the club. Alot of the members are running to the new club and want their money back. and they think they can force a vote to send the 20 thousand dollars gto the new club mind you this is a 501c incorporated club. al so mind you the new club charter says it will not affiliate with the old club and none of the members of the old club if they join or are allowed to join will not be allowed to run for office. Si I contend it we cannot affliate or cannot merge they get no money. My question is cam the membership force us to vote to disolve and give the new club our hard earned money or as long as there are members the club cannot be disolved ? Ps there is nothing about disolving a the club in our C&BL

As far as RONR is concerned, an (unincorporated) organization can be dissolved by the same procedure (i.e., notice and vote requirements) as amending the constitution & bylaws. However, since this is a corporation, and since there is a parent organization involved, not to mention that there seems to be a substantial amount of money at stake, there are almost certainly additional rules and legalities to be considered, and you should seek legal counsel.

I asked a while back about a President forced upon us by the mother club who did not win the majority vote when the other guy quit

even though the mother clubs bylaws say that all charter clubs are autonomous and shall govern themselves

any way

when we got rid of the phoney president

they said because it was done electronicly over the phone

it was questionable

and they pulled our charter.

and they started another national breed club

whom a great many of us refuse to join.

any way

our C&bl does not mention dissolving the club.

A lot of the members are running to the new club and want their money back.

and they think they can force a vote to send the 20 thousand dollars gto the new club

mind you

this is a 501c incorporated club.

also mind you

the new club charter says it will not affiliate with the old club and none of the members of the old club if they join or are allowed to join will not be allowed to run for office.

Si I contend it we cannot affiliate or cannot merge they get no money.

My question is

can the membership force us to vote to dissolve

and give the new club our hard earned money

or

as long as there are members the club cannot be dissolved ?

P.S.

there is nothing about dissolving a the club in our C&BL.

Just because a MINORITY of members are unwilling to dissolve, it does not take unanimity to dissolve.

All it takes is a sufficient majority or super-majority (whatever vote is necessary to rescind one's bylaws/constitution) to dissolve.

So if your concern is, "some people don't want to fold up the tent," then that concern is of no concern.

It isn't up to the stubborn minority. -- They cannot necessarily prevent an organization from voting to disband.

Archived