The Official RONR Q & A Forums

removal of agenda item without a vote

Guest Being Bullied

Guest Being Bullied

On two occasions I have filled out the form for my municipality to have an item put on the agenda for the City Plan Commission, the Public Protection Commitee (both meetings), and the Common Council (public hearing). On both occasions the Chairman of the Public Protection committee removed my item from the agenda prior to the meeting and subsequently from the public hearing due to his opinion I needed to provide additional documentation prior to the meeting.

It is my understanding that in order for an item to be removed from the agenda that motion must be made at the meeting and voted on, and is not an act the Chair can do on his own prior to the meeting.

I paid the fee, and filled out the form, and supplied supportive documents I believe to be sufficient. Are my civil rights being violated?

Since you are not a member of the Planning Commission, as far as RONR is concerned, you do not have the right to attend the meeting or speak during the meeting. Perhaps applicable statutes or the rules of the Commission allow you to attend and speak during the session.

If you feel the Commission is not following the law, you might consider legal action such as retaining an attorney. OTOH, if you are upset and not sure why your case was handled this way, you might consider asking the Commission's clerk or a friendly member. Note that the second suggestion might get your problem solved and is likely to be less expensive than the first suggestion.

-Bob

Archived